ISO help on how to grind pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I have 1/2 of a pork loin in the refrigerator. I was thinking about grinding it. Would i put it into the food processor raw or cook it somehow first and than grind it?

Grind it raw. Cut it up into chunks and grind it in small batches by pulsing the FP. Don't expect it to look like the ground meat from the market, their grinders are different.

Miss legend.

I would not "grind"? it at all in a a food processor. Cut it in half and make two roast. Or slice into 3/4 in thick pieces for grilling. Freeze it for later.

Enjoy!

Like Andy said.
Then if you have any interest in perusing the question further the world of ground meats and sausages could become a hobby, avocation, or despite in-laws forbidding, a profession.

Yes, pork on the grill is good. But grinding is always an option, but only if you have a meat grinder, ot food processor. Meat comes out of completely diferent texture.

I wouldn't try grinding it in a food processor, as it will be more like a paste than ground meat. You can do all kinds of other things with that meat...slice it into chops, slice it thin for stir-fry, cut it in cubes for sweet-sour pork or a stew, or just do as Uncle Bob suggested and freeze half of it.

A meat grinder is a very handy thing to have, and you don't have to spend a lot of money on one. You can find all kinds at all prices here:

eBay - meat grinders, Kitchen, Food Service Retail items on eBay.com

I, too, wouldn't use the food processor to grind meats. The texture of meat "ground" in a food processor isn't like meat ground in a "grinder."

I have an old-fashioned Universal clamp-on grinder I use for such purposes. I use it for all kinds of other grinding tasks, such as grinding pears for pear honey and walnuts for my Christmastime potica. I bought it at a yard sale many years ago for about $3. It's a wonderful tool.

When you use your food processor you will come out with finely chopped pork versus ground. It will be fine but it will just be different. I have used my grinder and my processor. It's more minced than ground but can still be used with good results. If you are planning on doing anything like meatballs or patties make sure there is some fat in there.

Pulsing is the key. If there are some big chunks and the rest is ok take the big chunks out and pulse those again by themselves.

I took out a pork roast the other day and cut some of it into pieces for a pork stir fry I was making. My DH buys big long pork roasts at BJ's and we cut them into roast size pieces. However, there was a VERY little left and it was already defrosted, so I wasn't sure what to do with it. Last night I made meatloaf with "hamburger" and figured I'd grind the pork up and add that too it. Believe me, it was just a small piece. So I ended up cutting it into pieces and pulsed it using the food processor. I added it to the burger mixture and made my meatloaf. It was awesome!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom