ISO help roasting pork - splattering/fumes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelcee

Assistant Cook
anyone got any ideas on how to prevent spitting and fumes when roasting pork?

I roast pork frequently - and it doesn't spit or fume.

Perhaps if you would tell us how you are trying to roast your piggy, and what you think is going wrong, maybe we could help you.

If you're doing a pork roast, it sounds like you have the heat way too high. Pork is a high protein food and should be cooked at about 325 -350 for perfect roasting. I do pork loins (that is, loin roast, not tenderloin) all the time and I roast at 350 for about 20 minutes per lb. after searing for 15 minutes at 425. Perfectly done, juicy and very flavorful.

Pork shoulder aka pork butt, picnic butt, picnic shoulder, is another story. That one should be braised at 325 with a little water added and covered, for about 45 minutes per lb. Extremely high in flavor but high in fat too.

it does sound like you are cooking it at too high temp. slow cooking is the best, put it on lower heat for a longer time and it should come out tender and juicy with out and spitting.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice!
i cook my pork at 335!
next time i shall try it lower
but will i still get the crispy crackling on a lower heat?

thanks for the advice!
i cook my pork at 335!

Roasting at 335 shouldn't make the pork spatter. I have to agree that you may have some water in the pork. Dry it thoroughly with paper towels before putting it in the oven. If you still have ice crystals on or in the pork that too will make it crackle. If you lower the temp to 325 you shouldn't have crackling but you shouldn't have it at 335 either. I start mine at around 425 for about 15 minutes and it doesn't crackle much at all.

If you still have the problem, just lay a sheet of aluminum foil LOOSLY over the roast and that will keep your oven clean. You might want to have your oven temperature checked. If you're running 50 degrees too high, that's a temp of 385 and it will cause spattering at that point.

Last edited:
answer to question

thanks for the advice!
i cook my pork at 335!

if you are cooking a fresh ham turn the heat up in the last 15 mins of cooking. pascochef

Need more info. Slow and low is great for some pork cuts, while others beg for higher heat. Technique is determined by the cut. And even then, there is lots of room for differing techniques depending on the end result you are trying to achieve.

To prevent "fumes", raise the roast from the pan bottom and make sure it is fully thawed to prevent excess water from dripping into the hot fat that accumulates in the pan bottom. Cover loosely with foil to prevent grease from leaving the pan and burning on the oven surfaces.

Alternately, barbecue that baby in a covered grill, gas or charcoal, it doesn't matter. Then, the smoke produced will add flavor to the meat.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds like Deelcee is roasting a fresh ham and wants a crisp skin. Question becomes when to do the crisping while minimizing oven mess. I think I've had best results by covering with an aluminum foil tent after the first 45 min of baking at recommended temp for fresh ham and then raising oven temp setting to 400F for the last 30 to 45 minutes.

Last night, I had a "duh" moment. To prevent spattering, and the smoke that comes from the resultant burning grease, simply add a cup or two of water to the pan bottome when putting the roast in the oven. This prevents any build up of hot grease that can cause spattering. Then, as the roast cooks, it will release some of its water in the form of flavorful juices, which again, prevents spattering. But you still have to raise the roast on a fack, or even on crumpled aluminum foil balls, above the water level.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom