"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

DH cooks pork steaks on the grill, basting with my oriental BBQ sauce.

He also likes them with just salt, pepper and garlic, but I find those tough and dry.

I've also fixed them Creole style, like Uncle Bob, and they are very good that way!

Michael has a good idea, except I'd cook them with sauerkraut instead. That would be good for the crockpot.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

We sometimes cut them up and cook them in our spaghetti sauce; along with chicken, sausage, and meatballs (which are added later).

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
DH cooks pork steaks on the grill, basting with my oriental BBQ sauce.

He also likes them with just salt, pepper and garlic, but I find those tough and dry.

I've also fixed them Creole style, like Uncle Bob, and they are very good that way!

Michael has a good idea, except I'd cook them with sauerkraut instead. That would be good for the crockpot.
The red cabbage is very close to sauerkraut. It's just a sweet and sour version. It ends up being slightly milder.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

Yeah, it's good with sauerkraut, too, if you want something a little more pungent. I started making it with the sweet and sour red cabbage because of my step-mom, I was trying to vary her diet and she didn't like sauerkraut, but she liked it when I did it this way.

And Bill - that sounds a lot like my big old pot of Italian gravy that I make once in a while .... about 10-12 pounds of meat (sausages, pork chops or roast, beef roast, meatballs, chicken thighs or breasts, etc.) makes enough for about a weeks worth of meals.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

The shoulder is my favorite cut of pork. Loins make me yawn. I too like cooking it low and long, anywhichway like a luau at the endoftheday. If you have the appliance, or a butcher who is so friendly and accommodating as to raise your Sweeney Todd hackles, shoulder also make the best ground pork.

For some curious reason, pork pairs well with fruits and anything else both sweet and acidic. BRB... can DC's Admins more comprehensively code our forum's Ignore Functions to include turning off bigdaddy3k's tagline? :)
Old 10-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Hey babetoo, I moved this to its own thread so you will get more response. Hope it helps!

My 2 cents is that I would cut up the shoulder steak into bite sized pieces and then do it in homemade BBQ sauce after a quick fry. Serve over rice.
thanks so much alix, i think it worked, lots of good ideas.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #17
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
can DC's Admins more comprehensively code our forum's Ignore Functions to include turning off bigdaddy3k's tagline? :)
No body understands true art.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Yeah, it's good with sauerkraut, too, if you want something a little more pungent. I started making it with the sweet and sour red cabbage because of my step-mom, I was trying to vary her diet and she didn't like sauerkraut, but she liked it when I did it this way.

And Bill - that sounds a lot like my big old pot of Italian gravy that I make once in a while .... about 10-12 pounds of meat (sausages, pork chops or roast, beef roast, meatballs, chicken thighs or breasts, etc.) makes enough for about a weeks worth of meals.
Gravy? I used to cal it gravy until the food snobs told me to call it sauce.
No sense cooking stuff for hours and hours unless you can get several meals from it.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

I was married to an Italian from Brooklyn - her dad and uncles were off-da'-boat Italians ... they called it gravy ... she called it gravy ... so I still call that big ol' pot of culinary Nirvana gravy because it is so much more than just sauce!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Head Chef

I had that happen to me - so tough if i had false teeth they probably would of bounce right out of my mouth.

So with a couple of packages left I figure out what to do with them.

I put them in my crock pot with carrots, saurkraut, onions, some cut up potatoes and let them go for the day - sometime, when I make pork this way I add a can of chopped tomatoes also.
they came out great. What a difference from tough to tender.

And to use up the rest of them i put in crock pot with barbque sauce - couple of bottles of your favorite and let them go them shredded and pulled pork sammys. good also.

I was surprise that as tough as they were how tender & tasty they came out.
If they didn't come out good - at least the dog would of eaten high on the hog!
( no pun intended)

Tags
None