"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO Help with Pork Shoulder steaks

not exactly on topic but is about pork. i bought shoulder steaks, by mistake. a lot of em. tough as nails if fried. do u think i can put all in crockpot with a sauce. and used for sandwiches would work?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

adding to this, cause i still have a large freezer bag full of these things. any help would be wonderful

Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
not exactly on topic but is about pork. i bought shoulder steaks, by mistake. a lot of em. tough as nails if fried. do u think i can put all in crockpot with a sauce. and used for sandwiches would work?
Yikes.

I'd wrap the whole lot in tinfoil with some herbs and a bit of balsamic (just enough moisture for there to be moisture) as tight as possible, and roast in a very slow oven (180-200) for 6 hours.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Everymom

Hey babetoo, I moved this to its own thread so you will get more response. Hope it helps!

My 2 cents is that I would cut up the shoulder steak into bite sized pieces and then do it in homemade BBQ sauce after a quick fry. Serve over rice.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My 2 cents is that I would cut up the shoulder steak into bite sized pieces and then do it in homemade BBQ sauce after a quick fry. Serve over rice.
Would only work if you beat the living hell out of it first. The shoulder being cut up into steaks basically puts you in that nasty "too much heat" situation, where there's no way to get it tender unless you apply as little heat to it as possible, just barely enough to get it done.

If I was stuck with a mountain of pork shoulder steaks, I'd dust them with a mixture of paprika, dry mustard, and five spice, stick them in my smoker on a low, low smoke (160 degrees) until they reported 155 degrees via digital thermometer (with an alarm). This operation would likely take 9 hours or more because of the low temp, but they'd be butter tender, juicy, and full of flavor from that rub.

I don't get the impression this is an option for the OP, though...

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Morning Miss Babe.....Another option would be to "smother" or as some folks say here "Gravy them down" --- or heck you could just call it pork steak fricassee ---Anyway Trim as much visible fat off each steak as possible...Season with Salt and pepper...flour, and lightly brown in a little oil. Remove them from the pan....Make a medium brown roux using 1/4 cup oil and 1/3 cup flour...when the roux is ready add some sliced onion...as much as you like. (A whole onion wouldn't hurt) and just a little bell pepper for flavor. Cook the onion and pepper in the roux for 5 or 6 minutes....Next add some liquid (water will be fine) to make a somewhat thin gravy....Season the gravy to your liking with Salt, black pepper, garlic/garlic powder, bay leaf, Worcestershire Sauce, Cajun/Creole seasoning, thyme, Louisiana Hot Sauce etc etc.....Make it taste good!! When the gravy is to your liking add the pork steaks back in, and completely submerse "smother" them in the gravy. Cover the pan, and reduce the heat to barely simmer....Cook until the steaks are fork tender/easily break apart....Adjust seasonings and serve over rice or smashed tators..For an extra special treat along with the rice/potaotes..break open a hot buttermilk biscuit and ladle some on.... Mmmmm Mmmmmm Good!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I vote for Uncle Bob's recipe!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
Would only work if you beat the living hell out of it first. The shoulder being cut up into steaks basically puts you in that nasty "too much heat" situation, where there's no way to get it tender unless you apply as little heat to it as possible, just barely enough to get it done.
Untrue MetalChef. I do it all the time. I was perhaps to concise in my directions, but I generally leave the meat in the crockpot with the sauce for a LONG time (which must tenderize it) or I do a quick fry and top with sauce so it doesn't have time to get tough and nasty. I'm sure there are ways it could go like you describe, but it hasn't happened to me. I'll try to be more specific in future with my descriptions.

UB, YUMMY!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Mr. Greenjeans

What does "tough" mean? Are they as tough as a cheap beef steak? We used to just broil and sauce and eat with a steak knife. We loved them!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Master Chef

Sear the steaks in a tablespoon or two of bacon grease, add a jar of Aunt Nellie's Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage, reduce the heat to a low, put the lid on the skillet and braise for about 30 minutes or so. Serve with applesauce and some potato and onion or potato and cheese or potato, cheese and onion pierogies.

I also like Uncle Bob's "smothered steak" idea. And, nothing wrong with saucing some and cooking low and slow in the crock pot.

Tags
None