"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO ideas for bone-in ham after cooked in crock-pot

Hello. I don't cook ham often. My husband brought up a 5lb bone in ham from BJ's, said it was on sale. I wasn't in the mood to get too deep into cooking today so I just through it in the crock pot with some brown sugar. It's done. I'm eating it and it's yummy. : ). There are juices on the bottom of the crock pot.

After I cut off the rest of the ham for eating, what are some ideas to do with the juices inside, the left over ham on the bone and the bone?

I've tried to make broth with hams before and remember them being super salty. Is drinking the ham juices healthy for you? I'm just thinking of all the salt that must be in there.

ok just realized the bone is pretty small for a big ham. : ).

Old 01-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ideas for bonein ham after cooked in crock pot

Split pea soup, bean soup, lentil soup. Red or black beans and rice. I made some excellent pulled pork with a combination of pork loin chunks and ham in the CP. You can freeze the bone along with leftover ham.

I don't think I would drink the leftover ham juice plain.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Fry up some ham slices and spoon the juices over for gravy.

Make: quiche, strata, ham loaf, jambalaya, eggs bennies, monte cristo or croque monsieurs, good old ham and eggs, ham salad. About the only ones that won't begat their own set of leftovers are the sandwiches. C'est la vie.

A ham bone is a special treat to have on hand!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

What Dawg said!

Freeze a few nice thin slices for ham and eggs or grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Ham chunks and scalloped potatoes.

The bone and some of the scrappy chunks are good in an easy version of a New England style boiled dinner. Ham bone and chunks, water, half a cabbage cut into wedges, potato chunks, carrot chunks, onions, celery. Simmer the ham bone in seasoned water for 45 minutes, add the other ingredients and simmer another 20 minutes or so until the vegetable are tender. Save the leftover broth for soup and use any leftovers to make a nice hash/bubble and squeak the next day.

Oops! Whiskadoodle beat me to the punch on some of these things! How could I forget about ham salad, that was always a favorite growing up. Ground ham, celery, onion, mayonnaise and either chopped sweet pickles or horseradish depending on our mood!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Master Chef

Make scalloped ham and potatoes. I especially like it with a cheese sauce.

The bone is good for ham and bean soup. The one I posted in the "Soups" forum is really good, but I don't know how to put up the link using my phone. The bone is also good for "Hoppin' John". There are several recipes online, but I use a different version. Unfortunately, it's at home and I'm not.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Diced ham in mac & cheese for a main dish.

Leave some of the meat on the bone for a pot of beans.

Omelet with ham and cheese and anything else.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:58 AM   #7
Head Chef

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Split pea soup, bean soup, lentil soup. Red or black beans and rice. I made some excellent pulled pork with a combination of pork loin chunks and ham in the CP. You can freeze the bone along with leftover ham.

I don't think I would drink the leftover ham juice plain.
Amen! Split pea soup is my favorite. It's easy to make and it's a great, hearty winter soup. Add a slice of fresh baked bread and you have a complete meal.

Then use some leftover sliced ham with the remains of the bread to make sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

Now you have gotten at least 3 meals from that ham, and if there is any more left, it goes great in a scalloped potato casserole.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Honey Badger

You could make a loaf of ham and cheese bread.It's really good sliced lightly toasted dipped in a good old fashioned bowl of pea soup.

We have one weirdo in my house who insists it has to be tomato soup.His name won't be mentioned.Witness protection program and all.

My sons like breakfast ham and cheese biscuits.They grab them and go.
Thanks Mom, see ya!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
Hello. I don't cook ham often. My husband brought up a 5lb bone in ham from BJ's, said it was on sale. I wasn't in the mood to get too deep into cooking today so I just through it in the crock pot with some brown sugar. It's done. I'm eating it and it's yummy. : ). There are juices on the bottom of the crock pot.

After I cut off the rest of the ham for eating, what are some ideas to do with the juices inside, the left over ham on the bone and the bone?

I've tried to make broth with hams before and remember them being super salty. Is drinking the ham juices healthy for you? I'm just thinking of all the salt that must be in there.

ok just realized the bone is pretty small for a big ham. : ).
Pea and ham soup using the stock from cooking the ham and any off cut bits from the bone or make more using the bone. My mother used to use dried peas but I cheat and use canned "mushy" peas (the sort you have with British fish and chips). I also add onions, garlic, herbs (mint is nice if you have it or thyme and parsley) and black pepper. I use a stick blender to puree the finished soup but you don't have to do so if you don't want it smoother. My mother always taught me to cook a whole peeled potato (more if a lot of soup) in the soup to reduce the saltiness if necessary. Others on here said it doesn't work. You pays your money and you makes your choice as the old saying goes. I can only say that it has always worked for us.

Good with hunks of crusty bread and butter or croutons.

Tags
cook, crock pot, ham, other