"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

You just reminded me that I have 2 Italian sausages in the fridge because I misunderstood the Chef's recipe when it said "sausage." What he meant was sausages for a chacheterie appetizer to go with the pasta dish. Hmmmm...thinking roasted asparagus, sausage, and maybe ... pasta? Not sure yet. Gotta go see what else is in the kitchen... I know I have some tomatoes that need to go or be chicken feed...got black olives, anchovies, and capers...parm. ... Ital. parsley... leeks... garlic...should be able to come up with something...

Old 05-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
When someone mentions Mexican chorizo, I always think of fresh. Dried is more commonly a Spanish chorizo.
Agree. Growing up in Miami, these origins got lost in translation on many occasion.
We have a very hard time finding dried chorizo here in SC as our hispanic population is mainly Mexican.

Growing up, I never knew anything about fresh. Only dried/cured.
It was used in many dishes I grew up loving.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Queso fundido
Old 05-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #24
Head Chef

Went to a party at a Mexican Restaurant the other day, and they were serving Chorizo Quesadillas. Being a vegetarian, I didn't try it, but if I did eat meat, sounds like something I'd try. Looked like 2 flout tortillas, with a white cheese ( possible Montery Jack) and chopped up chorizo inside. ( with the option to dip in guacamole, sour cream or fresh salsa).
Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Trisha Yearwood had a show the other day on Food network on a chorizo and kale soup that looked really good.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Jamie Oliver did a squid and chorizo dish on a re-run of "15 Minute Meals" on Food Network last week. It sounded rather good.

The recipe may be on-line if you Google. My laptop's playing up so I'm borrowing the library's terminal and it won't let me look at the JO site so I can't forward it..
Old 05-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Trisha Yearwood had a show the other day on Food network on a chorizo and kale soup that looked really good.
Wow, that does sound good GA! It's a Mexican take on one of my favorite Italian soups! I'd use white beans instead of potatoes however.

Kale Soup Recipe : Trisha Yearwood : Food Network

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 AM   #28
Sous Chef

chop and add to your pan of roast potatoes (divine) or add chunks/slices to chicken casserole and serve with tomato rice.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I threw some chorizo (the salami type) into my roast butternut squash and sweet potato soup this lunch time. I went well together with the veg.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Went to a party at a Mexican Restaurant the other day, and they were serving Chorizo Quesadillas. Being a vegetarian, I didn't try it, but if I did eat meat, sounds like something I'd try. Looked like 2 flout tortillas, with a white cheese ( possible Montery Jack) and chopped up chorizo inside. ( with the option to dip in guacamole, sour cream or fresh salsa).
Marinate some tofu in your favorite salsa, grill some asparagus in a grill pan on the stove, take a soft flour tortilla, add your favorite Mexican (or soft goat cheese), some black beans, a bit of chopped jalapeno, some cilantro, the asparagus, some chives, whatever. Cook the marinated tofu your favorite way, add it to the flour tortilla (I make my own, so they are usually warm), fold in half, put 2 T of canola oil in a skillet, cook for about 2 minutes each side (until the cheese melts and the tortilla is has some golden spots on it). Serve with your favorite Mexican sides. Or, leave the tofu out and mix some salsa with the soft cheese.

Tags
chorizo, mexican, other