"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #31
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I suppose most cooks here know that to get the best out of chorizo simmering slowly, for a while, renders it more succulent and yielding rather than tough and rubbery. I find it goes well in a pasta style sauce in this way, e.g. with carrots, celery, onions and tomatoes.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #32
Master Chef

Go figure, have to memorize everything you read, never know when it will be useful. I was seating in an office just yesterday and reading some recipes. One of them was chorizo and chicken stew. For a life of me, cannot remember what else. There were too many recipes to read. Sounded good.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Go figure, have to memorize everything you read, never know when it will be useful. I was seating in an office just yesterday and reading some recipes. One of them was chorizo and chicken stew. For a life of me, cannot remember what else. There were too many recipes to read. Sounded good.
I've done that before, then asked if I could take the magazine home with me. Never been refused, and a couple of times I took it home, copied the ones I wanted, then returned it the next time I was in the area.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I've done that before, then asked if I could take the magazine home with me. Never been refused, and a couple of times I took it home, copied the ones I wanted, then returned it the next time I was in the area.
Years ago, I found a recipe in a magazine in the doctor's waiting room and asked the receptionist to photocopy it for me.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #35
Master Chef

I usually do ask to photocopy, but nowadays with cell phone cameras being so good it is even easier to just take a photo. Just did not think I would use a recipe with chorizo, being that it is not kosher. Too bad it sounded good. Do not remember spices they used, but they sautéed chorizo first, then took it out with a slotted spoon, then dragged chicken pieces in flour and fried in rendered fat, then added low sodium chicken broth, cooked for a while then added veggies. I suppose it could be any veggies.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Hi, I haven't used it much, but I have tried it in a stuffing for a chicken with onion, garlic, thyme and sun dried tomatoes. It was a nice tasty change.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Remember this is a Mexican Chorizo which is fresh, not cured or cooked. Resembles minced beef in texture. Spanish chorizo is much different.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Just did not think I would use a recipe with chorizo, being that it is not kosher...

Charlie, you could use beef and all the chorizo seasonings to get a close substitute.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Charlie, you could use beef and all the chorizo seasonings to get a close substitute.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Or turkey, even chicken but I think turkey would be a better choice, as long as Charlie doesn't belong to one of the small groups that apparently don't consider turkey kosher.

Tags
chorizo, mexican, other