ISO new ideas for leftover ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
although i like ham quite well, i don't ever know what to do with it past the first meal for which i initially purchased it. right now i have about two pounds of boneless ham slices left over from new year's hoppin' john. i will use some for pea soup. other than the usual scalloped potatoes, omelets, and an alfredo sauce add-on, can you give me some new and different ideas for this nice brwon sugar ham? thank you!:)

if i don't come up with something pretty soon, i may have to resort to spending a full half-day making and baking pirogies. (my grandkids would cheer):clap::)

Do you still have the bone? If so, I have a homey recipe.

I would certainly slice some of it for cold cuts and to fry up for breakfast instead of bacon.

Do you still have the bone? If so, I have a homey recipe.

I would certainly slice some of it for cold cuts and to fry up for breakfast instead of bacon.

this ham is boneless, taxlady, but i sure would like to see your "homey" recipe for when i do have a bone-in ham on hand. when i fry ham, spam or even some sausages, they take on a whole new salty identity that is a bit too strong for my tastes....:(

Grind some for ham salad sandwiches (put in the freezer so it is ready to make into sandwich filling). Broccoli wild rice ham casserole. Aspargus-ham rollups (sliced very thing, wrapped around aspargus). Chopped and frozen for chef's salad. TL--I did a bone-in ham yesterday. Curious as to what you homey recipe is. I was planning on making Quebecois split pea soup...but am open to other ideas.

This is sort of traditional Quebecois food.

A ham bone, with some meat. How much depends on what you like and how much you have left.
Some root vegis: carrots, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips - cut in 1.5 - 2 inch pieces
Some potatoes cut in largish chunks
Some onion, cut in smallish chunks
One or two green or white cabbage wedges

Put everything in a large pot.
Add water or vegi stock or a vegi court bouillon to barely cover.
Simmer for a long time.
Garnish with chopped parsley

The first day it makes a pretty good soup. The second day the water should evaporate some and the potatoes should disintegrate some, so it gets thicker and stewlike.

This dish usually doesn't need to have any salt added.

I have no idea what it is called. :(

This is sort of traditional Quebecois food.

A ham bone, with some meat. How much depends on what you like and how much you have left.
Some root vegis: carrots, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips - cut in 1.5 - 2 inch pieces
Some potatoes cut in largish chunks
Some onion, cut in smallish chunks
One or two green or white cabbage wedges

Put everything in a large pot.
Add water or vegi stock or a vegi court bouillon to barely cover.
Simmer for a long time.
Garnish with chopped parsley

The first day it makes a pretty good soup. The second day the water should evaporate some and the potatoes should disintegrate some, so it gets thicker and stewlike.

This dish usually doesn't need to have any salt added.

I have no idea what it is called. :(
That sounds like a potage, at least day 2.

I vote for grinding it up and making ham salad. When I had my old silver clamp on the table meat grinder I always made it the week after Easter. Add horseradish or grind in some sweet pickles. Both are great, it just depends on your mood.

A pound of ground ham added to a meatloaf is also very nice.

M.F.K. Fisher said the definition of eternity is two people and a ham!

I vote for grinding it up and making ham salad. When I had my old silver clamp on the table meat grinder I always made it the week after Easter. Add horseradish or grind in some sweet pickles. Both are great, it just depends on your mood.

A pound of ground ham added to a meatloaf is also very nice.

M.F.K. Fisher said the definition of eternity is two people and a ham!

Oh yeah, ground ham added to the meatloaf. I forgot about that. That really makes a nice change.

meatloaf+sausage, now meatloaf+ground ham--what else can be combined with meatloaf to produce a tasty meal and even tastier sandwiches for later, i wonder....

Last edited:
i too have left over ham. i sliced it and froze in one serving bags. thawed some out this a.m. for breakfast. some of it i chopped and froze for beans and ham. noted: chef salad. i love it and will do tomorrow, i think.

this potato soup looks awesome--even before (or without) the ham! have you made this, merstar? thanks for sharing it....:)

Actually, I'm the one who posted it on the site! It's been on my to-try list forever, and the only reason I haven't tried it is because I never have ham in the house. But, you're right - it would be good without it also!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom