ISO Pork loin roast recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is from Cooks Illustrated. I just love it. Make sure to use real maple syrup, not pancake syrup.

Maple-Glazed Pork Roast

A nonstick ovenproof skillet will be much easier to clean than a traditional one. Whichever you use, remember that the handle will be blistering hot when you take it out of the oven, so be sure to use a pot holder or oven mitt. Note that you should not trim the pork of its thin layer of fat. The flavor of grade B maple syrup (sometimes called "cooking maple") is stronger and richer than grade A, but grade A syrup will work well, too. This dish is unapologetically sweet, so we recommend side dishes that take well to the sweetness. Garlicky sautéed greens, braised cabbage, and soft polenta are good choices.

1/2 cup maple syrup, preferably grade B
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
pinch cayenne pepper
1 boneless pork loin roast, preferably blade-end, (about 2 1/2 pounds), tied at even intervals along length with 5 pieces butcher's twine
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees. Stir maple syrup, cinnamon, cloves, and cayenne together in measuring cup or small bowl; set aside. Pat roast dry with paper towels, then sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in heavy-bottomed ovenproof 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke, about 3 minutes. Place roast fat-side down in skillet and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes. Using tongs, rotate roast one-quarter turn and cook until well browned, about 2 1/2 minutes; repeat until roast is well browned on all sides. Transfer roast to large plate. Reduce heat to medium and pour off fat from skillet; add maple syrup mixture and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds (syrup will bubble immediately). Off heat, return roast to skillet; using tongs, roll to coat roast with glaze on all sides.

Place skillet in oven and roast until center of roast registers about 135 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 35 to 45 minutes, using tongs to roll and spin roast to coat with glaze twice during roasting time. Transfer roast to carving board; set skillet aside to cool slightly to thicken glaze, about 5 minutes. Pour glaze over roast and let rest 15 minutes longer (center of loin should register about 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer). Snip twine off roast, cut into 1/4-inch slices, and serve immediately.

Here's my contribution. I ordered this pork loin in five spice sauce at a very expensive restaurant one of my clients took me to, and I am glad they were paying because it was horrible! The sauce was outrageously sweet and the meat was very fatty. I went home determined I could do a better job, and I really did!

Chinese Dragon

3 ½ to 5 pound boneless dragon loin (you can substitute pork loin , but your guests will know the difference)

½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground pepper

Marinade:
½ cup hoisin sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tbs tomato paste

1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs grated ginger
2 tsp five-spice powder

Garnish:
1 small green mango
½ cup crushed pineapple
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs Pineapple vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
½ small red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped dry roasted unsalted peanuts

1. Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool.
2. Trim excess fat from loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large plastic bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close with a twist tie. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160°F. Allow loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, covered with foil, before slicing.
4. Slice thin and serve garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts.

Last edited:
Roast Pork Loin with Almonds, Garlic & Sherry-Shallot Cream
INGREDIENTS:
1 pork loin roast on the bone, approximately 5 to 6 pounds
3 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
Salt and pepper
2 cups sliced skin-on almonds
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons finely minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup minced shallots
1 cup medium dry sherry
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
Method
Instructions: With a small sharp knife make slits in between the bones of the pork roast and slip in slivers of garlic. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan, bone side down. Let sit at room temperature while you toast the almonds.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the sliced almonds on a baking sheet for about 7 to 10 minutes. When they are cool enough to handle, break them up with your fingers until they are coarsely chopped or pulse briefly in the processor. Do not let them become too fine. You want crunch, not dust. Combine the crushed almonds with parsley and garlic. Toss with the oil. Put the mixture in a baking pan and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a metal spatula. They will become a wonderful golden brown. Set aside until serving time.
Raise the oven temperature to 450°.
Put the pork in the oven and roast for 25 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 400° and continue to cook the roast until a meat thermometer registers 140°, about another 20 minutes. Take the roast out of the oven and let it rest. Cover it with foil to keep it warm.
While the pork roasts, make the sherry shallot cream: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the minced shallots and cook over low heat until they are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry and simmer briskly over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the cream and simmer again for about 5 minutes to reduce the sauce by about half. The sauce should thicken enough to coat a spoon. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the almond crunchies, or picada, to the sherry-shallot cream and heat through. .
Spoon the sauce over the meat..

Back
Top Bottom