ISO Pork Rib ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
OK, we're tired of oven or grilled barbeque ribs as we cooked them all summer. I'm just over barbeque sauce for a while and yet I have several pounds of meaty beautiful ribs in the freezer.

I've thought of Sweet n Sour ribs, or ribs cooked with sauerkraut, but beyond that I'm clueless. If you have some tried and true recipes or ideas for ribs, I'd love to hear them. TIA!! :chef:

Korean style. Sweet and spicy. Not hard at all. Simmer on the stove in water for about half an hour, then marinate in soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, onion, sesame oil, cooking wine, and Korean chili paste if you can get your hands on it. If not, use Hoisin sauce and some chili pepper depending on how spicy you like things. After two hours of marinating cook the meat on grill or in oven (meat-side up) for 25-30 minutes, turning several times and basting with marinade.

The meat should be very tender. Depending on the thickness of the meat on the bones, you might need to cook the ribs for a longer or shorter time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I know this recipe will surprise you coming from me...

Lemon juice (lots!)
Oregano (a lot)
Cracked black pepper
Garlic
Rosemary (less)

I splash lemon juice liberally over the ribs, then rub crushed garlic on them. Then I sprinkle the pepper, oregano and rosemary on them. If you don't want to do them slowly on the grill then put them in your oven. We serve this with greek salad and wild rice. YUM!

OH WOW........both those ideas sound wonderful. Thank you

Rock, you're saying to simmer the ribs before marinating? Interesting procedure, and I'll be giving that a try.

I love lemon juice as much as you Alex....sounds wonderful !

My mom always steamed pork ribs to start softening the connective tissue and render some of the fat. I do that, then put the pan in the fridge overnight and skim the pork fat, aka lard, off the top of the water in the morning.

I thought I had previously posted this receipe, but I can't find it. I was actually thinking of this for our dinner tonight.

Pork and Kraut Dinner

5-6 country style ribs (bone in or boneless) or 4-6 chops or use pork steak if you like. It will even work with a couple of racks of baby backs!

1 lg onion sliced or chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1qt. Sauerkraut undrained
3/4C packed brown sugar
Your favorite seasoning for the meat ( I use garlic powder and Spike, sometimes Montreal chicken seasoning)

Season the meat, brown well on all sides. Put into baking dish, (I use a dark metal roaster (graniteware) Layer the garlic, onions and sauerkraut on top of the meat. Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
Bake/Roast covered at 325F for at least an hour and 30 minutes. This can stay in the oven for longer at a lower heat. You could easily do 2-3 hours at 275F.
I like the meat falling apart, but you may wish to not have it quite so tender, just adjust your cooking time.

Last edited:
Kayelle....I know you're a fan of Trader Joe's - you and the Sous have GOT to give this a try if you're looking for something a little different, and easy. :yum:

I'm not a fan of boiling ribs first, I think much of the flavor gets lost in the boiling liquid. I pan sear those meaty country style pork ribs, marinate, cover, and slow roast til tender...basting with the liquid now and then. Or grill. :)

Ingredients include soy sauce, pineapple juice, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic, sesame oil....etc...this stuff is amazing. As you can see I'm almost out. lol

img_1396139_0_79260c414c5ab34e4108edb3ad80bb95.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I know this recipe will surprise you coming from me...

Lemon juice (lots!)
Oregano (a lot)
Cracked black pepper
Garlic
Rosemary (less)

I splash lemon juice liberally over the ribs, then rub crushed garlic on them. Then I sprinkle the pepper, oregano and rosemary on them. If you don't want to do them slowly on the grill then put them in your oven. We serve this with greek salad and wild rice. YUM!

Oooh....and +1! :yum:

All great ideas and thanks so much. I think I need to buy even more ribs. :yum:

The several packages I have in the freezer, and were on sale, are extra meaty and very lean with no waste at all. They are somewhat bigger than "baby back" ribs however. I think they came from pigs who work out. :LOL::pig:

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not alone in requesting updates on what you choose and what you liked. I love hearing the reviews.

I am still looking for a new way to make ribs. I was going to start a thread and saw this. There has to be more ideas.
I have St Louis slabs also in the freezer. I took one out yesterday and just cannot bring myself to do an oven BBQ again.

Ribs should work well done in the style of Cochinita Pibil. Probably work with Jerk seasoning as well.

Ribs should work well done in the style of Cochinita Pibil. Probably work with Jerk seasoning as well.

Conchita Pibil? I do not have the seasonings to make jerk spice, nor do I have jerk spice.
I have plenty staples and plenty seasonings. I have some sauces, but nothing special as far as Asian. I have soy sauce. I'm sure we have some fruit preserves?
Asian does sound good. But I don't keep any Asian sauces or spices. Not even sure what to have on hand.

Conchita Pibil? I do not have the seasonings to make jerk spice, nor do I have jerk spice.
I have plenty staples and plenty seasonings. I have some sauces, but nothing special as far as Asian. I have soy sauce. I'm sure we have some fruit preserves?
Asian does sound good. But I don't keep any Asian sauces or spices. Not even sure what to have on hand.

I have no suggestions for Asian, but Cochinita Pibil is Mexican. If you can get Achiote Paste, the rest of the ingredients are common grocery store items. If frozen banana leaves can't be found, just use foil.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/cochinita-pibil-90400.html

Last edited:
Ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder makes a good basic sauce. You can add other stuff to it as you please. Mustard, beer, fruit preserves, hot pepper powders or hot sauce, other spices...... Slow cook your ribs in that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom