ISO Pork Roast Side Dish Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
This weekend we're having people over and I'm trying a new recipe for a pork roast slow cooked with leeks, white beans, dried cranberries and sage. I'm stumped on what to serve with it. Any ideas?

I make a pork roast in the crock with cranberries - I usually serve it with spaetzle, which is a small dumpling you can find at the local grocery store.

I'd serve some roasted vegetables with that...carrots, potatoes, parsnips, brussels sprouts, red onion rings, maybe some whole cloves of garlic...or any combination you prefer. I thought of sweet potatoes, but with the beans, I'm afraid your guests might suffer gastric distress.

You might also include a good cranberry/orange relish to add some zip to the menu.

For dessert, a pumpkin pie or apple/spice cake would be delicious.

Sweet Potato Ratatouille

this is my favorite for serving with pork:
Sweet Potato Ratatouille
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 red onion, diced (about 2/3 cup)
2/3 cup green bell pepper, diced
2/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup zucchini, diced
2 tablespoons butter
salt and seasoned pepper to taste
In medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and red onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until tender. Add the peppers and chicken stock and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the zucchini and cook 1 minute. Stir in the butter until melted. Add salt and seasoned pepper to taste.
Makes 10 (1/2-cup) servings

this sounds like it is screaming some sort of potato dish. Either a pave, or augratin, and add some carmalized leeks to tie it in with the roast. OR some simple boiled potatoes, the sautee in a little bacon greese, and add some pearl onions and get them good and toasty too.

I would serve dauohinoise potato I think, or may be roast in goose fat: mainly because I would eat roasties any time;). I am nomally also a huge fan of red cabbage with pork, but bearing in mind the beans, leeks and cranberries maybe something less....savoy cabbage stuffed with chestnut paste? Or brussel sprouts with roast chestnuts. The chestnut would complement but not fight with your other flavours I think.

If you roast the potatoes in with the pork, and add a few whole or halved onions, they'll turn a lovely dark brown color. They'll be delish!

What about making a fruit conserve out of fresh cranberries, chopped orange, apple and pear, with some golden raisins? Cook together with some sugar, water and lemon juice. All those go great with pork. Tasty and jewel-like colors to add eye appeal to the presentation.

Oh boy, so many good ideas the sides may become the main dish!!! Thank you, everyone!

I'm leaning towards some sort of potato at the moment, just haven't decided what. We'll see what looks good when we go grocery shopping later today. I've gotten lots of good ideas for future meals, though!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom