ISO Recipes Using Andouille Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Not gumbo.

Not Jambalaya.

I'm looking for some other ways to use andouille in recipes.

Anybody have any ideas?

Andouille Stuffed Pork Loin
ANDOUILLE STUFFED PORK LOIN

2 1/2 - 3 Lbs. Pork loin
Andouille sausage. The length of the loin.
Cajun/Creole Seasoning.
Hickory Wood

Insert a sharpening steel or long filet knife through the loin creating a hole for the Andouille. Force the Andouille through the hole.
Cover the loin well (heavily) with the seasoning. Don't forget the ends.
Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 48 hours.
Remove the loin from the refrigerator 2 hours prior to cooking.
Fire up the Grill, and stabilize at 250*-275*
Lay the loin on the grill and Cook to the 145*-150* range in the thickest portion. Use a smalll amount of Hickory for Flavoring Wood.
Remove, and let it rest for 10 minutes. Slice into 3/4" to 1" slices to serve.

TASSO GRAVY

6 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
3/4-1 Lb. Tasso Cubed
1 Cup chicken Stock
3 Cups water more or less.
Course ground black pepper
Salt to taste

Melt the butter over low heat. Add the Tasso and lightly saute' for 5 minutes
being careful not to burn the butter. Add the flour and stir continuously until the flour has cooked for 6 to 8 minutes. Continue to stir (whisk) while adding the chicken stock, and enough water to make a nice gravy. Add fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste. Cover and keep warm for 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve the Andouille stuffed loin and Tasso Gravy with hot, stone ground yellow grits, and a side of Okra and Tomatoes.

Enjoy!!

DW reminds me...Remove the casing...Dice.... Lightly Saute (with a little trinity optional)...Makes a nice omelet!!

Slice into short links...1/8 or 1/6 it length wise...Use as sausage for ABT's

Also...Obviously any bean/soup dish.....White Beans are popular in some areas here.

Sausage Chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 lbs. Andouille, or other smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 bottle dark beer
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, crushed, and their juices
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
6 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
pinch of the following:
paprika
salt
garlic powder
black pepper
onion powder
cayenne pepper
dried oregano
dried thyme
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, garnish
1 cup finely chopped green onions, garnish

In a large heavy pot heat the oil over med-high heat. Add sausage and brown on all sides. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and a pinch of seasonings listed in ingredients list, stirring often, until soft.

Deglaze the pan with the beer and cook until the foam is gone, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and kidney beans. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent chili from sticking. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheddar cheese and scallions.

One of the best burgers I have had, came from Bob Appetite, had finely diced andouille mixed in the meat, topped with carmelized onion, blue cheese, slice pickled okra, and a cajun spice seasoned mayo.

A couple of other ideas that were brought to my attention last night....

A local take on Carpetbagger Steaks ---Strips or Rib-Eye.
The diced andouille is diced and sauteed along with red, yellow, green diced peppers, and onions/garlic...a small amount of veal/beef stock is added for a few minutes. Remove from the heat, and add several pats of unsalted butter to emulsify the mixture...Keep it warm. Cook your thick cut steaks using your favorite method. Cut a slit/pocket in the steak...Stuff with the mixture allowing some of it to spill out on the plate...Yum!

Another is just a basic white sauce (Bechamel) with diced Andouille added.
Maybe give the Andouille a slight/quick sautee, and then add it along with any fats rendered to flavor the sauce....Serve over pasta.

I've not eaten nor prepared either of these...A situation I will soon remedy! --- I found the ideas interesting...

Have Fun!

At my brothers bachelor party a few weekends ago someone made mac and cheese with diced sausage. Andouille would work great in that I think.

SWEET POTATO AND ANDOUILLE SOUP

1 small onion, diced 3 stalks celery, finely sliced
3 tablespoons butter 2 1/2 cups peeled sweet potatoes, diced
2 quarts chicken broth Pinch of cinnamon
1/2 pound andouille sausage, casings removed and coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste Pinch of nutmeg
3 drops hot sauce or to taste 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or to taste
Salt to taste
Directions:
Melt butter and saute onion and celery until translucent and celery is tender. Add potatoes and cover with chicken broth, then cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add 3 cups chicken broth and simmer until potatoes are tender.
In the meantime, saute 1/2 pound andouille sausage until it begins to brown. Remove from heat. When sweet potatoes are tender, puree the mixture in batches in a food processor. Return to pan, add the sauteed sausage and more broth or water if necessary to make a velvety smooth consistency. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, hot sauce, white pepper and salt. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Verify seasoning and serve piping hot with chopped parsley.

I made a batch of black bean soup with andouille. It wa delicious. I have not tried any of the recipes offered here.

You can use andouille with shrimp and grits! :chef:

I make Alfredo with andouille and top with some smoked scallops. It's quite tasty!

Back
Top Bottom