"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO - Recipes Using Ground Pork with Pasta or Rice

hi all. I am new to this forum and looking for some help. I bought some ground prk a few days ago and am looking for a great recipe. I was thinking about using it with either pasta or rice. not sure yet. We already had burgers and breakfast tacos so i am trying to stay away from those. I do not want to make sausage with it either. I was thinking maybe empanadas also. Honestlyy i just dont know what to do. I have never used ground pork before so i open to suggestions.

thank you,
nicki

Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

need nice pasta recipe using ground pork

looking for some great pasta ideas using ground pork.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfullthinking View Post
hi all. I am new to this forum and looking for some help. I bought some ground prk a few days ago and am looking for a great recipe. I was thinking about using it with either pasta or rice. not sure yet. We already had burgers and breakfast tacos so i am trying to stay away from those. I do not want to make sausage with it either. I was thinking maybe empanadas also. Honestlyy i just dont know what to do. I have never used ground pork before so i open to suggestions.

thank you,
nicki
here's one i made earlier wishfull....leave out the spuds & serve it with rice or noodles.......or leave the spuds in & serve it with rice or noodles...what the heck!!
Harry's Spicy Pork Ball Rendang
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfullthinking View Post
looking for some great pasta ideas using ground pork.
Hi wishfulthinking,

not an easy one. In Italy we generally use pork in pasta recipes, but we use diced pancetta or guanciale, for example for carbonara or amatriciana recipes, not ground pork, except in ragł recipes. But then we mix it with other ground meat, like beef. By the way, ragł is an Italian sauce made cooking the main ingredients (meat, fish, vegetables) in tomato sauce, with various spices and herbs.
However, you can dress your pasta with a ragł made with ground pork. Your pork ragł will be a little savory, I think, but pork is pork...
I usually make my ragł with a beef/pork meat mix.
Now let’s take a look at this ragł.

Ingredients, serving 4 people:
300 g ground pork
1 big carrot
1/2 big onion
1 stick celery
3 tablespoons EVOO (or olive oil, but not butter)
300 g canned chopped tomatoes
grounded salt and black pepper as needed
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (or similar grated cheese)
450 g pasta, short-shaped (but you can also use spaghetti if you like)
about 2 tablespoons coarse salt

Finely dice carot, onion and celery.
Warm 3 tablespoons EVOO in a pot, medium heat. Add the vegs, cook about 8 minutes (do not burn them...).
Put the ground pork in the pan and cook it about 5 minutes, stirring.
Add tomatoes, stir well, cook about 5 minutes. Taste it and add salt and pepper, as needed; your sauce could be already quite savory, due to pork meat.
Cook on low heat about 30 minutes. Your ragł should not be too runny; you can add water during cooking, but do not overdo.
For pasta, bring a large pot of water (4 l water) to a rolling boil, then add about 2 tablespoons of coarse salt (1: don’t fill them to make sorts of little mountains... - 2: if your ragł is very salty, decrease the salt for pasta). Wait a minute, then add the pasta, stir it and cook it for the time printed on the label. Drain your pasta, put it in a large bowl, add the ragł, stir well, add grated cheese, stir again and serve at once.

This is not to be considered a side dish, for us Italians it is a primo piatto, which is the first course (or the only course) of our meals, followed by a secondo, usually meat, or fish or another similar course. If you want to use it as a side dish, maybe you want to decrease the quantities, and use short-shaped pasta to make it easier to eat.
Last note: stir well the pasta with the ragł in the bowl. Some of it will nonetheless remain on the bottom, then you can use a spoon after you put pasta in the dishes, to “rescue” what’s left in the bowl.

Buon appetito
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Executive Chef

If you want to try something that is not Italian, here is a link to a Thai recipe. This is not the exact recipe we use for the dish, but the difference is just additional vegis. The "pasta" is glass noodles.

Glass Noodle Soup | AsianSupper
Old 08-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Sous Chef

How much Pork are we talking here?

1 lb. I'd make pork dumplings with those cheep Egg roll wrapers they sell at the store..

I like pork and cabbage..but other veggies work well

20 lbs... I'd make meat balls, and then freeze 1/2..

Then make Harry's Spicy Balls..

or just standard Spaghetti and meat balls..

or my Famous Kitchen Sink Red Gravy!

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Hi wishful thinking, there are l06 recipes using ground/minced pork on here. Maybe one of those will grab your fancy Pork mince recipes - All recipes UK

Everything from Mexican Picadillo and empanada to Goan curry, what with these and the other recipes you have been given, sounds as if another trip to the butchers might be on the cards
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Master Chef

Also good as a filling for won-tons (yes, a kind of pasta). Mince some garlic, ginger, a dash of dried hot pepper if you're so inclined, black pepper. Take the won-ton wrapper, put a teaspoon or so in the middle, wet the edges, turn over and seal. These can be either deep fried, pan fried, steamed, or a boiled in broth for soup. Potstickers, won-ton, mandoo. serve with a dipping sauce if served outside of soup. Or take out the Asian ingredients and call them one of the Eastern European dishes -- boil, then sautee in butter with some fresh herbs (sage is one traditional one) then sprinkle with cheese.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I always use 1/2 pound of ground pork with 1 pound of ground beef to make meatloaf or meatballs.

I love the blog Steamy Kitchen for easy Asian-inspired dishes. The Taiwanese Pork Noodles (with rice noodles) would go great with the stir-fried Chinese Long Beans (you can use regular fresh green beans for this, too).
Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like to brown it up and add it to spaghetti sauce, either jarred or home made. Emeril's Kicked Up sauce is good. I usually get the hot Italian pork sausage, but you can spice up your ground pork with hot pepper flakes and ground fennel. It's nice in lasagna too.

Tags
other, pasta, pork, recipe, rice

ISO - Recipes Using Ground Pork with Pasta or Rice hi all. I am new to this forum and looking for some help. I bought some ground prk a few days ago and am looking for a great recipe. I was thinking about using it with either pasta or rice. not sure yet. We already had burgers and breakfast tacos so i am trying to stay away from those. I do not want to make sausage with it either. I was thinking maybe empanadas also. Honestlyy i just dont know what to do. I have never used ground pork before so i open to suggestions. thank you, nicki 3 stars 1 reviews