ISO - Recipes Using Ground Pork with Pasta or Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishfullthinking

Assistant Cook
hi all. I am new to this forum and looking for some help. I bought some ground prk a few days ago and am looking for a great recipe. I was thinking about using it with either pasta or rice. not sure yet. We already had burgers and breakfast tacos so i am trying to stay away from those. I do not want to make sausage with it either. I was thinking maybe empanadas also. Honestlyy i just dont know what to do. I have never used ground pork before so i open to suggestions.

thank you,
nicki

hi all. I am new to this forum and looking for some help. I bought some ground prk a few days ago and am looking for a great recipe. I was thinking about using it with either pasta or rice. not sure yet. We already had burgers and breakfast tacos so i am trying to stay away from those. I do not want to make sausage with it either. I was thinking maybe empanadas also. Honestlyy i just dont know what to do. I have never used ground pork before so i open to suggestions.

thank you,
nicki
here's one i made earlier wishfull....leave out the spuds & serve it with rice or noodles.......or leave the spuds in & serve it with rice or noodles...what the heck:LOL:!!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/harrys-spicy-pork-ball-rendang-81320.html

looking for some great pasta ideas using ground pork.

Hi wishfulthinking,

not an easy one. In Italy we generally use pork in pasta recipes, but we use diced pancetta or guanciale, for example for carbonara or amatriciana recipes, not ground pork, except in ragù recipes. But then we mix it with other ground meat, like beef. By the way, ragù is an Italian sauce made cooking the main ingredients (meat, fish, vegetables) in tomato sauce, with various spices and herbs.
However, you can dress your pasta with a ragù made with ground pork. Your pork ragù will be a little savory, I think, but pork is pork... :pig:
I usually make my ragù with a beef/pork meat mix.
Now let’s take a look at this ragù.

Ingredients, serving 4 people:
300 g ground pork
1 big carrot
1/2 big onion
1 stick celery
3 tablespoons EVOO (or olive oil, but not butter)
300 g canned chopped tomatoes
grounded salt and black pepper as needed
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (or similar grated cheese)
450 g pasta, short-shaped (but you can also use spaghetti if you like)
about 2 tablespoons coarse salt

Finely dice carot, onion and celery.
Warm 3 tablespoons EVOO in a pot, medium heat. Add the vegs, cook about 8 minutes (do not burn them...).
Put the ground pork in the pan and cook it about 5 minutes, stirring.
Add tomatoes, stir well, cook about 5 minutes. Taste it and add salt and pepper, as needed; your sauce could be already quite savory, due to pork meat.
Cook on low heat about 30 minutes. Your ragù should not be too runny; you can add water during cooking, but do not overdo.
For pasta, bring a large pot of water (4 l water) to a rolling boil, then add about 2 tablespoons of coarse salt (1: don’t fill them to make sorts of little mountains... - 2: if your ragù is very salty, decrease the salt for pasta). Wait a minute, then add the pasta, stir it and cook it for the time printed on the label. Drain your pasta, put it in a large bowl, add the ragù, stir well, add grated cheese, stir again and serve at once.

This is not to be considered a side dish, for us Italians it is a primo piatto, which is the first course (or the only course) of our meals, followed by a secondo, usually meat, or fish or another similar course. If you want to use it as a side dish, maybe you want to decrease the quantities, and use short-shaped pasta to make it easier to eat.
Last note: stir well the pasta with the ragù in the bowl. Some of it will nonetheless remain on the bottom, then you can use a spoon after you put pasta in the dishes, to “rescue” what’s left in the bowl.

Buon appetito :)

If you want to try something that is not Italian, here is a link to a Thai recipe. This is not the exact recipe we use for the dish, but the difference is just additional vegis. The "pasta" is glass noodles.

Glass Noodle Soup | AsianSupper

How much Pork are we talking here?

1 lb. I'd make pork dumplings with those cheep Egg roll wrapers they sell at the store..

I like pork and cabbage..but other veggies work well

20 lbs... I'd make meat balls, and then freeze 1/2..

Then make Harry's Spicy Balls..

or just standard Spaghetti and meat balls..

or my Famous Kitchen Sink Red Gravy!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Also good as a filling for won-tons (yes, a kind of pasta). Mince some garlic, ginger, a dash of dried hot pepper if you're so inclined, black pepper. Take the won-ton wrapper, put a teaspoon or so in the middle, wet the edges, turn over and seal. These can be either deep fried, pan fried, steamed, or a boiled in broth for soup. Potstickers, won-ton, mandoo. serve with a dipping sauce if served outside of soup. Or take out the Asian ingredients and call them one of the Eastern European dishes -- boil, then sautee in butter with some fresh herbs (sage is one traditional one) then sprinkle with cheese.

I like to brown it up and add it to spaghetti sauce, either jarred or home made. Emeril's Kicked Up sauce is good. I usually get the hot Italian pork sausage, but you can spice up your ground pork with hot pepper flakes and ground fennel. It's nice in lasagna too.

Last edited:
Homemade wonton soup

img_1180931_0_4d80407bb27cef419607926e0f2d33fd.jpg

just wanted to say thank u to everyone for their suggestions. I decided to put off cooking the pork until i come across something that i really want to try. I am thinking about doing cabbage rolls but i havent settled on it yet.

Google a few recipes for Dirty Rice and then go through your fridg and see what musgoes you have to add to the rice and the pork.

chicken stock
chicken gizzards or livers
rice
sausage or ground pork
celery
garlic
peppers
onions
carrots
frozen mixed
and on and on it goes.

It is really more of a process than a recipe. :ermm::ohmy::LOL: