ISO tips making Scotch eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I took my first crack at Scotch eggs today. They taste amazing. Bottom line I struggled to get them to stick together in the pan while frying them.

I used chorizo, sage sausage, chopped chicken liver and mixed all that together. I wrapped the hard boiled egg--which did not want to play nice. I dredged in flour, cornflakes, and then let it sit for 10 min. I fried in a shallow amount of oil and while rolling them around (gently) the outer layer fell off the egg. I'm wondering if an emulsifier would have helped glue everything together. Should I have added an extra egg to the sausage mix, or are there other tricks to keep the meat on the egg?

I took my first crack at Scotch eggs today. They taste amazing. Bottom line I struggled to get them to stick together in the pan while frying them.

I used chorizo, sage sausage, chopped chicken liver and mixed all that together. I wrapped the hard boiled egg--which did not want to play nice. I dredged in flour, cornflakes, and then let it sit for 10 min. I fried in a shallow amount of oil and while rolling them around (gently) the outer layer fell off the egg. I'm wondering if an emulsifier would have helped glue everything together. Should I have added an extra egg to the sausage mix, or are there other tricks to keep the meat on the egg?

That's happened to me a few times. It's a simple fix.
Make sure your hard boiled eggs are completely dry before you try to wrap the sausage around them. Too many eggs to the sausage mix will also make it hard to keep wrapped. It's too wet.

Once you have it firmly wrapped no gaps seams all tucked in. Dip them into a bowl of lightly beaten eggs. Quick dip. Then roll them around in your coating mix. Let it rest a few minutes. I've fried mine @350 for just a few minutes. If left in too long that can cause the coating to fall off to.

Munky.

Thanks for the tips. Now if you can figure out how to do a dozen of these in under 2 hours, we'll be in good shape. :)

What is it about people taking these things camping? I'd never think to take meatloaf camping. :)

inchrisin said:
What is it about people taking these things camping? I'd never think to take meatloaf camping. :)

I've had my best meatloaves camping. I actually make them little and grill them. Everything tastes better when you are camping!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom