ISO uses for ground pork. Anyone want to share?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey come on, much of this topic has been relegated to discussing either off topic or what actually is the topic, including a shrimp recipe. :)

I think ground pork could make good tacos.

Greg Who Cooks said:
Hey come on, much of this topic has been relegated to discussing either off topic or what actually is the topic, including a shrimp recipe. :)

Heh. I learned something today. Shrimp with lobster sauce starts off with ground pork for the lobster sauce. I knew lobster sauce had no lobster, but ground pork??? I had NO idea! Thanks, JPB!

Last edited:

:LOL: Boy you got that right. Andy had me wondering if if I was awake or typing asleep at the keyboard again. It would be a Pork question to begin with. Last time I put my worthless 2 cents worth in I had to send out an S.0.S!..Holy Piglets Pooo Bear..
What was the question again? :wacko:

Munky.

Heh. I learned something today. Shrimp with lobster sauce starts off with ground pork for the lobster sauce. I knew lobster sauce had no lobster, but ground pork??? I had NO idea! Thanks, JPB!

You and me both.. The thought of Lobster so early in the morning associated with pork. Just sounded soooo wrong! :D

T.T. :ROFLMAO:

I already knew that "lobster sauce" means sauce they make for lobsters, not from lobsters. Didn't know it was from pigs. Got me! :)

Thais make very nice recipes from their ground pork:

thailand ground pork recipes - Google Search

Depending on how it was ground, you could make andouille sausage which my recipe calls for course grind. Bulk Mexican chorizo is also good. I love browning a pan full, covering it with meunster cheese which gets melted under the broiler and using torn pieces of flour tortilla to pull the chorizo/cheese from the pan while it is still warm.:yum:

There are so many things you can do with ground pork. Look at some Thai and asian recipes, if you're into it.

The OP was originally asking for bratwurst recipes--we seem to be slipping off topic <g>.

Actually the thread title ask for uses for pork but the original post suggests the OP wants a variety of brat recipes.

...so you're both wrong.

...or you're both right.

My head hurts.

Originally it was called something that had the words patty, recipe, and brat plus a few others in a different order.

I think the use for ground pork is endless. But I am wondering what happened to the rest of the pig? YOu did not ground the whole thing up?

got as many 1" thick chops as I could, as many 3/4" steaks as I could, as many 5lbs ham roasts, an the rest was 1/2 ground 1/2 ground sausage

roughly 160lbs of meat pig+processing was right around $300 not bad IMO

Originally it was called something that had the words patty, recipe, and brat plus a few others in a different order.

got as many 1" thick chops as I could, as many 3/4" steaks as I could, as many 5lbs ham roasts, an the rest was 1/2 ground 1/2 ground sausage

roughly 160lbs of meat pig+processing was right around $300 not bad IMO
Okay--my memory of about 75 lb for 1/2 was about right and the price sounds about the same as that which I paid 3-4 years ago (the last time I went in on a pig).

If a whole pig was butchered, I'll bet there's enough ground pork left to make other dishes, or even dishes made with the brat mixture.

With my 1/2 pig, it seems to me I'd get 10-12 packs of 1 lb ground pork....I could be wrong. With 1/2 beef, I'd get around 50 packs of ground beef--averaging 1 lb to 1-1/4 lb. I always ordered stew meat however.

Asian dumplings or wontons, ground pork cabbage, garlic, ginger, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, wonton wrappers, steam and then fry if you want to.

Do you like Mexican food? I'll give you my recipe for fresh Mexican chorizo. I use turkey, but the go-to meat is pork.

[FONT=Arial Black, sans-serif]CHORIZO[/FONT]​

2 pounds ground pork
4 cloves mashed garlic (I usually use a garlic press)
6 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs vinegar
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide into quarters, roll each quarter into a log, and tightly wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder.

You might also try a Google search for Pilipino cuisine. When Pilipinos get their hands on a pig, they cook everything but the oink!

Last edited by a moderator:
With my 1/2 pig, it seems to me I'd get 10-12 packs of 1 lb ground pork....I could be wrong. With 1/2 beef, I'd get around 50 packs of ground beef--averaging 1 lb to 1-1/4 lb. I always ordered stew meat however.
We always got a side of beef when I was growing up and Mom used to get 50/50 ground and stew meat. We only once got a 1/2 pig and I don't remember her using much ground pork - she always used something and ground it herself for her tourtieres.

Back
Top Bottom