Kahlua pork for dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
got some going is the slow cooker right now, first time trying it in a crock pot, lucky's has shoulder on sale for .99/lb. i lined the crock with Ti leaves threw in large chunks of meat marinated with liquid smoke and hawaiian salt. my mom has poi in the freezer and will be bringing some, i dont like poi and eat it with rice, raw onion goes great with it too.

my brother leaves for hawaii on monday, might have him bring more salt

Ahhhhhhhh.......wish I was there! :yum:

I've had great luck with crock pot Kaluha Pork! It's the very best reason to own a crock pot........it sure beats the authentic way!
No Poi for me either thanks. :rolleyes:

Had to Google kahlua pork (Kalua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I thought you were talking about pork made with

190px-Kahlua_bottle_200ml.jpg

:ohmy: :LOL:

That just sounded wrong to me.

Oh, yum. When I worked at the Federal Building in Honolulu, one day a week was "kahlua pig and cabbage" day at the cafeteria. Great combination. Most days I wandered into little "mom & pop" type places (I was new to the islands) to try various cuisines that were so available and affordable then (those were the days of rampant inflation in the islands, during the years when the Japanese economy was over-the-top and prices geared to the wealthy Japanese who could afford to fly to Hawaii for a wedding, or golf weekend, or to buy up property that was cheap in comparison to prices in Japan). Most military people couldn't afford to eat off base, but it didn't take me long to realize where the little places no Japanese tour bus or wealthy businessmen would find were, and we feasted on all sorts of Asian foods on a regular basis. Not to mention Hawaiian.

Most days I wandered into little "mom & pop" type places (I was new to the islands) to try various cuisines that were so available and affordable then (those were the days of rampant inflation in the islands, during the years when the Japanese economy was over-the-top and prices geared to the wealthy Japanese who could afford to fly to Hawaii for a wedding, or golf weekend, or to buy up property that was cheap in comparison to prices in Japan). Most military people couldn't afford to eat off base, but it didn't take me long to realize where the little places no Japanese tour bus or wealthy businessmen would find were, and we feasted on all sorts of Asian foods on a regular basis. Not to mention Hawaiian.

yes i know the island local cuisine well, i have family there but i go there for the food.

Sounds Ono!

I think with poi, it's either you love it, or hate it(and think of it as wall paper paste).

first time I had poi was at a family luau, and it wasn't cooked long enough. You HAVE To cook it for a LONG TIME to break down the enzymes in it, makes you feel like you have fiberglass insulation in your throat for a day or so.

Thank you, TATT for your very accurate description of poi.

The apartment management here is throwing us a luau tomorrow evening, and I've been wracking my brain to find a way to describe poi that isn't as gross as the poi itself.:ohmy::ermm::LOL:

Thank you, TATT for your very accurate description of poi.

The apartment management here is throwing us a luau tomorrow evening, and I've been wracking my brain to find a way to describe poi that isn't as gross as the poi itself.:ohmy::ermm::LOL:

Yeah. . it's um. . . well, it's an acquired texture. It's like if you let a 3yo make mashed potatoes and gave him the electric mixer for 45min, and made glue. . .

But hey, there are certainly more strange native foods out there! All part of the human experience.

TATTRAT said:
Yeah. . it's um. . . well, it's an acquired texture. It's like if you let a 3yo make mashed potatoes and gave him the electric mixer for 45min, and made glue. . .

But hey, there are certainly more strange native foods out there! All part of the human experience.

Perfect description.

There are other descriptions I'd use, but this is a family site. (Runny noses come to mind.) Plus the color is so unappetizing.

Back
Top Bottom