"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
Kahlua pork for dinner

got some going is the slow cooker right now, first time trying it in a crock pot, lucky's has shoulder on sale for .99/lb. i lined the crock with Ti leaves threw in large chunks of meat marinated with liquid smoke and hawaiian salt. my mom has poi in the freezer and will be bringing some, i dont like poi and eat it with rice, raw onion goes great with it too.

my brother leaves for hawaii on monday, might have him bring more salt

__________________

__________________
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,885
Ahhhhhhhh.......wish I was there!

I've had great luck with crock pot Kaluha Pork! It's the very best reason to own a crock pot........it sure beats the authentic way!
No Poi for me either thanks.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Had to Google kahlua pork (Kalua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I thought you were talking about pork made with





That just sounded wrong to me.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Oh, yum. When I worked at the Federal Building in Honolulu, one day a week was "kahlua pig and cabbage" day at the cafeteria. Great combination. Most days I wandered into little "mom & pop" type places (I was new to the islands) to try various cuisines that were so available and affordable then (those were the days of rampant inflation in the islands, during the years when the Japanese economy was over-the-top and prices geared to the wealthy Japanese who could afford to fly to Hawaii for a wedding, or golf weekend, or to buy up property that was cheap in comparison to prices in Japan). Most military people couldn't afford to eat off base, but it didn't take me long to realize where the little places no Japanese tour bus or wealthy businessmen would find were, and we feasted on all sorts of Asian foods on a regular basis. Not to mention Hawaiian.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
97guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Most days I wandered into little "mom & pop" type places (I was new to the islands) to try various cuisines that were so available and affordable then (those were the days of rampant inflation in the islands, during the years when the Japanese economy was over-the-top and prices geared to the wealthy Japanese who could afford to fly to Hawaii for a wedding, or golf weekend, or to buy up property that was cheap in comparison to prices in Japan). Most military people couldn't afford to eat off base, but it didn't take me long to realize where the little places no Japanese tour bus or wealthy businessmen would find were, and we feasted on all sorts of Asian foods on a regular basis. Not to mention Hawaiian.


yes i know the island local cuisine well, i have family there but i go there for the food.
__________________
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,885
Had any Loco Moco lately? Comfort food of the Islands. Deeeeeeeeeelish!

Loco Moco Recipe, Loco Moco History, History and Recipe of Hawaiian Loco Moco, Hawaii's Feel Good Food, Hamburger Recipes
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sounds Ono!

I think with poi, it's either you love it, or hate it(and think of it as wall paper paste).

first time I had poi was at a family luau, and it wasn't cooked long enough. You HAVE To cook it for a LONG TIME to break down the enzymes in it, makes you feel like you have fiberglass insulation in your throat for a day or so.
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Thank you, TATT for your very accurate description of poi.

The apartment management here is throwing us a luau tomorrow evening, and I've been wracking my brain to find a way to describe poi that isn't as gross as the poi itself.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thank you, TATT for your very accurate description of poi.

The apartment management here is throwing us a luau tomorrow evening, and I've been wracking my brain to find a way to describe poi that isn't as gross as the poi itself.
Yeah. . it's um. . . well, it's an acquired texture. It's like if you let a 3yo make mashed potatoes and gave him the electric mixer for 45min, and made glue. . .

But hey, there are certainly more strange native foods out there! All part of the human experience.
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT

Yeah. . it's um. . . well, it's an acquired texture. It's like if you let a 3yo make mashed potatoes and gave him the electric mixer for 45min, and made glue. . .

But hey, there are certainly more strange native foods out there! All part of the human experience.
Perfect description.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner, pork

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.