Kielbasa & Kraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Domestic Goddess

Senior Cook
Kielbasa & Kraut

1 (16 oz.) pkg. Polska Kielbasa (or) Smoked Sausage
1 qt. (32 oz.) or (2 lbs.) bagged Sauerkraut

Cut meat up; cover with sauerkraut (including juices) in crockpot.
Cover, cook on high for 2-3 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Note: Since there is plenty of sauerkraut in this recipe,
I would add 2 lbs. of kielbasa or smoked sausage.

For added flavor, some grated onion, potatoes, and apples as well as some juniper berries and kummel can be added to the kraut. 30 minutes before the completion of cooking the sauce can be thickened with a few tablespoons of flour.

Hey Bill, for me personally, I wouldn't add the onions, potatoes, apples, or juniper berries, nor would I thicken it with the flour, as this tastes wonderful just w/the Keilbasa and Kraut (or) Smoked Sausage, and served with the mashed potatoes on the side.

I always put a little chicken broth in the dutch oven, and maybe add a bay leaf. It takes the kraut to the next level IMHO.

Mmmmm I have a 1/2 jar of kraut in the fridge and a kielbasa in the freeze.. I think I have my Saturday dinner here! Thanks DG

PeppA and her mother always made this, but added dumplings to it. They called "knee-knockers and mash", although there was no mashed taters in it. I can't remember if they made mashed and served it on the side.

I usually made myself scarce when they made this. I can handle the sausage, but all that kraut usually made my nose head for the hills.

I think this is one of those recipes where everyone has a family tradition...
Dad made flour and egg dumplings for his version.
Yum.
And I bought a big Costco value pack tonight! Thanks for the idea!

Been eating this since I was a little kid...I like my k&k with potato pancakes, please...:chef:

Back
Top Bottom