Lavender and Mint Roasted Pork Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
This is another one I found in Febuary (I have the whole month off, so that's when I do a lot of cooking and recipe hunts). I bought some Lavender seeds, but none of them survived a cold snap we had. Maybe I'll get some next year.

Lavender and Mint Roasted Pork Tenderloin
Yields: 6 servings

For the Pork:
3 pork tenderloins; 12 oz
¼ c fresh lavender; finely chopped
¼ c fresh mint; finely chopped
unsalted butter, to taste
For the Chutney:
1 c dried cherries
2 fresh persimmons; thinly sliced
6 dried figs; thinly sliced
½ red bell pepper; julienned
½ green bell pepper; diced
juice of ½ lemon
1 t fresh gingerroot; peeled and grated
2 T garlic; finely chopped
¼ c white wine vinegar
½ c Gewürztraminer wine
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Caramelized Apples:
2 T unsalted butter
3 granny smith apples; cored and sliced
¼ c brown sugar; packed
2 T cider vinegar
For the Pumpkin Mixture:
1# fresh pumpkin; seeded
1# white turnips; peeled and quartered
2 T butter; melted
½ c Asiago cheese; grated
¼ c heavy cream
1 T garlic; finely chopped
1 t ground nutmeg

To make the pork: trim any excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloins and discard. In a large, shallow bowl, combine the lavender and mint. Roll the tenderloins
in the herbs to thoroughly coat the meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
To make the chutney: In a medium-sized, heavy saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for
60 – 90 minutes, or until the chutney has stewed and the fruits and vegetables are tender. Let cool to room temperature and set aside.
To make the caramelized apples: In a hot skillet, brown the butter. Add the apple slices and toss. Add the sugar and continue to toss until the sugar begins to caramelize. Gently stir in the vinegar and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid reduces to a light syrup. Keep warm.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. To make the pumpkin mixture, place the pumpkin in a baking pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until tender. meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan, cook the turnips in water to cover for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash the turnips. Set aside.
Scrape the meat of the cooked pumpkin into a large bowl and stir in the butter. Mix in the reserved mashed turnips. Add the cheese, cream, garlic, and nutmeg and mash the mixture to a smooth consistency. Keep warm.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large, heavy ovenproof skillet; melt enough of the sweet butter to cover the bottom. When the butter is hot, brown the chilled pork tenderloins on both sides. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pork is cooked to medium. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
Slice the pork on a bias and arrange on each serving plate with the chutney, caramelized apples, and pumpkin mixture. Serve immediately.

Absoltely splendid looking, Allen! Certainly not one for everyday, but if someone was looking to skip the turkey and fixin's this for Thanksgiving this would rock! Thanks for posting it, I'm going to tuck it away for a truly special meal :) (Though the persimmons will likely be subbed, can't seem to get them in my neck of the woods)

p.s.
I don't cook with or consume any alcohol in any form, do you think that I could sub the ½ c Gewürztraminer wine with stock or perhaps apple juice to keep the fruit theme going?

Back
Top Bottom