"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
In my world a Country Ham is a dry cured ham....There are many producers of these hams in Various states...

A "Virginia" Ham is just a ham produced in Virginia...It could be smoked, dry cured, or even fresh....Some folks swear by "Tennessee" Hams...Again...just a statement of origin...Of course all of the brands, "States", etc have there Marketing strategy to sell their product! HTH
So true, there is even a Montana Ham... Tres expensive!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I like smoked bone in hams. I like the corn cob smoked hams from Harrington's in Vermont.

What you really don't want is water added, tasteless hams sold just about everywhere. (The ham area of the hog is quite dense meat.) If you like honey glazed or maple glazed, go for it. I prefer to roast and glaze my own.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What is spiral ham?
A spiral sliced ham is precut in a spiral around the bone. One cut by you down the length of the ham and the slices just fall off ready to serve. Easy carve.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
A spiral sliced ham is precut in a spiral around the bone. One cut by you down the length of the ham and the slices just fall off ready to serve. Easy carve.
Thank you Zhizara.

Why would that make the ham tasteless? I know boneless is usually tasteless, but if the bone is there ...?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
Master Chef

Oh, dear; they are all great, but different strokes. Some hams (on your list I'd say Virginia, also sometimes called country) are so salty that it pretty much makes your blood pressure rise just looking at them. One year I bought one to treat my parents (my husband was stationed in the Chesapeake area, where it is a specialty). I was told to expect mold on it, and scrub it off, which I did. Then to soak it in several changes of water. Huh? At the time I didn't have a pot that big, but did have two bath-tubs, so scoured one. Soak it forever, changing the water every XX hours (don't remember, never tried it again). Then bake. Well, the damned thing was so salty, even after all that. But in fact, my parents loved it, said it was a taste of their childhood, although, of course they couldn't imagine doing it themselves! I will say the meat and bone made the very best soups I've ever made: Split pea; bean.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bliss, my answer would have been different before this last Christmas, but my son was gifted with a spiral honey ham from Omaha steaks of all places. Shocked the heck outa me as Omaha steaks I've ordered were just "ok".
I've had Honey Baked hams, and they sure didn't impress me. In fact I'm pretty hard to impress when it comes to hams. Not anymore.
This was without a doubt, the most wonderful ham I've ever eaten, bar none. Its perfectly smoky, not too salty flavor just blew my socks off.
Now they are on sale and a better buy to boot.

Omaha Steaks 1 (7 lb.) Spiral Sliced Ham: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

OMG you think $7.15 a pound for ham is a good deal????
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oh, dear; they are all great, but different strokes. Some hams (on your list I'd say Virginia, also sometimes called country) are so salty that it pretty much makes your blood pressure rise just looking at them. One year I bought one to treat my parents (my husband was stationed in the Chesapeake area, where it is a specialty). I was told to expect mold on it, and scrub it off, which I did. Then to soak it in several changes of water. Huh? At the time I didn't have a pot that big, but did have two bath-tubs, so scoured one. Soak it forever, changing the water every XX hours (don't remember, never tried it again). Then bake. Well, the damned thing was so salty, even after all that. But in fact, my parents loved it, said it was a taste of their childhood, although, of course they couldn't imagine doing it themselves! I will say the meat and bone made the very best soups I've ever made: Split pea; bean.
There is a difference between Virginia Ham and "Old Ham" or maybe called "Country Ham". Old Ham/Country Ham is salt cured, left hanging hence the mold.

Spiral Cut Ham is tasteless and rubbery. YUCK!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
There is a difference between Virginia Ham and "Old Ham" or maybe called "Country Ham". Old Ham/Country Ham is salt cured, left hanging hence the mold.

I'm learning a lot here! Thanks for the thread blissful.

PattY1, I've heard from some folks I trust that the best ham they've had was a spiral cut. Do you suppose it depends on who you get it from? What was the yucky one you had? I want to know what to avoid.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
OMG you think $7.15 a pound for ham is a good deal????
Never said it was a "deal". I said it was the best ham I'd ever eaten in my life, and a better buy now. Big difference. Personally, I wouldn't give a plug nickle for a lesser ham.

Quote:
I would have agreed with you before eating this Omaha ham. Not so now.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Thanks so much for this info Claire!! I've been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these hams for years, now I can cross them off of something I'd like to try. I really do appreciate someone I "know" giving me their take on them. Wish you could buy just the bone for soups. Yumm

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone in, cured, other, smoked, spiral cut