Limited Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last summer my DH went to the Spam museum and brought me home gifts. There is some substantial irony here because I am a vegetarian, but that's a topic for another thread. One of the things he brought was the sampler case of spam. 12 cans - all different flavors. So what's a vegetarian to do with a case of spam?

We screwed up our courage, ordered a keg of beer and invited our friends over for a taste test. Every flavor was tested, all cooked the same way (well, two ways actually). Half of each can was pan fried in polite sized bites. The other half of the can was turned into sushi.

The black pepper flavor won hands down on both tastings.

You know, Spam is unfairly dissed in my opinion. Janet's post proves the point. lol I didn't even know it came in several flavors! I'll have to look for them. We do enjoy fried Lite Spam sandwiches - good stuff. MrsLMB, I think that preparation must have been in the Betty Crocker Cookbook or something - it was pretty popular 30-40 years ago lol

Spam! Food of the gods. If you walk into any convenience 7-11 type store in Hawaii one of the first things you see is a display of Spam Musubi's (fried spam shaped into a cube of rice and wrapped with a nori, seaweed leaf). I prefer it with a fried egg on bread with Best Foods Mayo. Best Foods Mayo is also a Hawaii favorite, used in our famous mac salads. Yum! I only do the spam and egg sandwhich thing every once in a blue moon for obvious reasons. =o)

Aha! A gormet chef amongst us. Next will be her recipe for Spam and Ramen Noodles. Stay tuned. :angel:

Maybe with a nice hoisin sauce....For you, I will add a few steamed veggies. :cool:

i would eat spam quiche or spam and ramen. sounds kinda good, actually.

i was just thinking of how jalapeno spam might be good diced fine into cornbread, or in hash browns.

My thoughts exactly!

I do not like Spam. My mother used to make us eat it when we were young. Her favorite thing was to put the blob of spam in a baking dish, score the top of it in diamond shapes and jam a clove at each intersection. She also used to put those canned Vienna sausage things into a hot dog bun and tell us they were baby hot dogs. To this day I just can't do spam or Vienna sausages. :sick:

I loved spam as a kid, but Mom use to pan-fry it in slices. Vienna Sausage was served on crackers with French's mustard....and only Armour brand. :rolleyes:

Last summer my DH went to the Spam museum and brought me home gifts. There is some substantial irony here because I am a vegetarian, but that's a topic for another thread. One of the things he brought was the sampler case of spam. 12 cans - all different flavors. So what's a vegetarian to do with a case of spam?

We screwed up our courage, ordered a keg of beer and invited our friends over for a taste test. Every flavor was tested, all cooked the same way (well, two ways actually). Half of each can was pan fried in polite sized bites. The other half of the can was turned into sushi.

The black pepper flavor won hands down on both tastings.

I've really wanted to have a tasting party! I just needed a theme....:yum:

We enjoy Spam, we get the 25% less Sodium and eat it fried with eggs. Good stuff.

Did Momma give you that recipe? :chef:

Spam! Food of the gods. If you walk into any convenience 7-11 type store in Hawaii one of the first things you see is a display of Spam Musubi's (fried spam shaped into a cube of rice and wrapped with a nori, seaweed leaf). I prefer it with a fried egg on bread with Best Foods Mayo. Best Foods Mayo is also a Hawaii favorite, used in our famous mac salads. Yum! I only do the spam and egg sandwhich thing every once in a blue moon for obvious reasons. =o)

I love spam musubi's. I have to make it myself though. Still...yummy!

Finally opened the Spam -

img_1230881_0_7c4e20ca3ad5f04b6a9fb150d86fc8dc.jpg

img_1230881_1_cca8e8241120659cfd7189a806da765d.jpg

img_1230881_2_704e1cce04b56594a8e1fb4052c8fa77.jpg

img_1230881_3_e19f0b9fa14fb7c1a11eac1eb538f65a.jpg

img_1230881_4_5a1912f6cbd86f8c6eca681c04a986c0.jpg

I used to eat sandwiches made with canned corn beef as a kid. No comparison to actual corned beef.

I used to love the canned corned beef as a kid. One of the Sunday lunch staples at Grandma's.

LT, your limited edition looks yummy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom