"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Last summer my DH went to the Spam museum and brought me home gifts. There is some substantial irony here because I am a vegetarian, but that's a topic for another thread. One of the things he brought was the sampler case of spam. 12 cans - all different flavors. So what's a vegetarian to do with a case of spam?

We screwed up our courage, ordered a keg of beer and invited our friends over for a taste test. Every flavor was tested, all cooked the same way (well, two ways actually). Half of each can was pan fried in polite sized bites. The other half of the can was turned into sushi.

The black pepper flavor won hands down on both tastings.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

You know, Spam is unfairly dissed in my opinion. Janet's post proves the point. lol I didn't even know it came in several flavors! I'll have to look for them. We do enjoy fried Lite Spam sandwiches - good stuff. MrsLMB, I think that preparation must have been in the Betty Crocker Cookbook or something - it was pretty popular 30-40 years ago lol

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We enjoy Spam, we get the 25% less Sodium and eat it fried with eggs. Good stuff.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Spam! Food of the gods. If you walk into any convenience 7-11 type store in Hawaii one of the first things you see is a display of Spam Musubi's (fried spam shaped into a cube of rice and wrapped with a nori, seaweed leaf). I prefer it with a fried egg on bread with Best Foods Mayo. Best Foods Mayo is also a Hawaii favorite, used in our famous mac salads. Yum! I only do the spam and egg sandwhich thing every once in a blue moon for obvious reasons. =o)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Aha! A gormet chef amongst us. Next will be her recipe for Spam and Ramen Noodles. Stay tuned.
Maybe with a nice hoisin sauce....For you, I will add a few steamed veggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i would eat spam quiche or spam and ramen. sounds kinda good, actually.

i was just thinking of how jalapeno spam might be good diced fine into cornbread, or in hash browns.
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I do not like Spam. My mother used to make us eat it when we were young. Her favorite thing was to put the blob of spam in a baking dish, score the top of it in diamond shapes and jam a clove at each intersection. She also used to put those canned Vienna sausage things into a hot dog bun and tell us they were baby hot dogs. To this day I just can't do spam or Vienna sausages.
I loved spam as a kid, but Mom use to pan-fry it in slices. Vienna Sausage was served on crackers with French's mustard....and only Armour brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Last summer my DH went to the Spam museum and brought me home gifts. There is some substantial irony here because I am a vegetarian, but that's a topic for another thread. One of the things he brought was the sampler case of spam. 12 cans - all different flavors. So what's a vegetarian to do with a case of spam?

We screwed up our courage, ordered a keg of beer and invited our friends over for a taste test. Every flavor was tested, all cooked the same way (well, two ways actually). Half of each can was pan fried in polite sized bites. The other half of the can was turned into sushi.

The black pepper flavor won hands down on both tastings.
I've really wanted to have a tasting party! I just needed a theme....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We enjoy Spam, we get the 25% less Sodium and eat it fried with eggs. Good stuff.
Did Momma give you that recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Spam! Food of the gods. If you walk into any convenience 7-11 type store in Hawaii one of the first things you see is a display of Spam Musubi's (fried spam shaped into a cube of rice and wrapped with a nori, seaweed leaf). I prefer it with a fried egg on bread with Best Foods Mayo. Best Foods Mayo is also a Hawaii favorite, used in our famous mac salads. Yum! I only do the spam and egg sandwhich thing every once in a blue moon for obvious reasons. =o)
I love spam musubi's. I have to make it myself though. Still...yummy!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Did Momma give you that recipe?
LOL! Nope, I learned it from an Ogre...
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That sounds like a nice idea
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
Master Chef

Finally opened the Spam -

Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks great! How did it taste?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #30
Master Chef

I thought I've had spam but our canned meat in SA is corned beef. Thought it was the same thing lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None