Linda's pot of pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This recipe is my interpretation of "Friedas Kasserolle", which we had in a pub in Denmark, owned by Frieda.

1 lb/500 gr pork, cut into cubes
3 strips stripey bacon
2 European style wiener sausages cut into 2 cm/1 inch pieces (if you can find high quality, tasty cocktail wieners, then use them instead)
hot paprika to taste
1 small onion, sliced
stock, it could be pork, chicken, or vegi
cream

In a Dutch oven or similar, cook the bacon until most of the fat had been rendered. Put the bacon aside.
Fry the onion a little bit in the rendered bacon fat.
Fry half the pork cubes with the onion, when browned, put the pork and onion aside.
Fry the other half of the pork and before it is fully browned, sprinkle with hot paprika. Continue frying until well browned.
Return the first half of the pork, the onions, and the bacon to the Dutch oven.
Add the stock to within ~1 cm (1/2 inch) of the top of the meat.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the pieces of wiener (or cocktail wieners).
Add some cream - enough that it looks creamy.
Turn up the heat after ~5 minutes and reduce to a nice thick sauce.

Serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. Rødkål goes well with this dish too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks a lot like a dish my "adopted" Romainian Grandma used to make years ago. She never had recipes so I never knew how she made things but I know this is very similar. I will have to try it!

Thanks for posting TL!

IMG_3055.JPG

This recipe is my interpretation of "Friedas Kasserolle", which we had in a pub in Denmark, owned by Frieda.

1 lb/500 gr pork, cut into cubes
3 strips stripey bacon
2 European style wiener sausages cut into 2 cm/1 inch pieces (if you can find high quality, tasty cocktail wieners, then use them instead)
hot paprika to taste
1 small onion, sliced
stock, it could be pork, chicken, or vegi
cream

In a Dutch oven or similar, cook the bacon until most of the fat had been rendered. Put the bacon aside.
Fry the onion a little bit in the rendered bacon fat.
Fry half the pork cubes with the onion, when browned, put the pork and onion aside.
Fry the other half of the pork and before it is fully browned, sprinkle with hot paprika. Continue frying until well browned.

It sounds good! That's unusual that you'd fry half of the pork, put it aside, then fry the other half and season it with hot paprika (separately from the first half.) Do you actually taste some pieces of pork are hotter than the other unseasoned pieces, or does it all even out when simmered in the creamy sauce?

Return the first half of the pork, the onions, and the bacon to the Dutch oven.
Add the stock to within ~1 cm (1/2 inch) of the top of the meat.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the pieces of wiener (or cocktail wieners).
Add some cream - enough that it looks creamy.
Turn up the heat after ~5 minutes and reduce to a nice thick sauce.

Serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. Rødkål goes well with this dish too.
That word looks suspiciously like "road kill." :eek:

It sounds good! That's unusual that you'd fry half of the pork, put it aside, then fry the other half and season it with hot paprika (separately from the first half.) Do you actually taste some pieces of pork are hotter than the other unseasoned pieces, or does it all even out when simmered in the creamy sauce?

It's just so the pan won't be too crowded. The seasoning goes onto the second batch so it won't burn. It all evens out with the stock and cream.

That word looks suspiciously like "road kill." :eek:

We've had that discussion before :LOL: It just means red cabbage in Danish, even though it is a specific red cabbage dish.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Well I really like cabbage! Sorry about the joke. I just looked at the other topic and see I'm not the only one. :) I hope to try them both.

Would the road... er... Rødkål work okay with regular--not red--cabbage?

Your picture looks wonderful, like Paprikash, but I've never made that with pork!

what is your tiny side veggie salad? looks sort of oriental with Baby Corn and flat pea pods.. very nice!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Well I really like cabbage! Sorry about the joke. I just looked at the other topic and see I'm not the only one. :) I hope to try them both.

Would the road... er... Rødkål work okay with regular--not red--cabbage?

Don't worry about the joke. I think it's pretty funny myself.

I have never heard of anyone doing it with any cabbage other than the red one. I suspect that if it worked well with other cabbage, we would have recipes for that.

Your picture looks wonderful, like Paprikash, but I've never made that with pork!

what is your tiny side veggie salad? looks sort of oriental with Baby Corn and flat pea pods.. very nice!

Eric, Austin Tx.

The vegi is Kirkland stir fry mix, stir fried with garlic and onion and a small chili. I grated some creamed coconut on at the end, but we couldn't taste the coconut.

I've never made paprikash.

I have never heard of anyone doing it with any cabbage other than the red one. I suspect that if it worked well with other cabbage, we would have recipes for that.

Does red cabbage taste or cook differently than green cabbage? I like the recipe but (it's probably just me) I'm not totally thrilled by the red appearance of the end result. I think I'd be happier with using green cabbage.

The recipe sounds great. I actually have quite a bit of Danish in my heritage, but will be the first to admit I haven't exactly embraced the culinary part of the culture.

Does red cabbage taste or cook differently than green cabbage? I like the recipe but (it's probably just me) I'm not totally thrilled by the red appearance of the end result. I think I'd be happier with using green cabbage.

I do believe the red cabbage cooks slightly differently than other cabbages. You don't really get that sulphur smell when it is cooking. Of course, that might be the vinegar. Yes, I find that red cabbage does taste a bit different than other cabbage, but it still tastes like cabbage. ;)

I'm sure the red colour indicates some sort of micro nutrient that is really good for you. You should try it with the red cabbage and then experiment with a green or savoy cabbage. Oh yeah, I find the leaves are a bit wrinklier with the red one and that is good when you are slicing it. It tends to get darker with age. The red cabbage in the photo was cooked in early February.

I do believe the red cabbage cooks slightly differently than other cabbages. You don't really get that sulphur smell when it is cooking. Of course, that might be the vinegar. Yes, I find that red cabbage does taste a bit different than other cabbage, but it still tastes like cabbage. ;)

I've heard others describing a sulfur smell resulting from cooking Brassica but I've never noticed that myself. It could be individual differences in sense of taste and smell.

I'm sure the red colour indicates some sort of micro nutrient that is really good for you. You should try it with the red cabbage and then experiment with a green or savoy cabbage. Oh yeah, I find the leaves are a bit wrinklier with the red one and that is good when you are slicing it. It tends to get darker with age. The red cabbage in the photo was cooked in early February.

Well if you cooked it in early February and now it's April then I guess after three months it might get a bit darker with age. ;) Just kidding! ;)

I've heard others describing a sulfur smell resulting from cooking Brassica but I've never noticed that myself. It could be individual differences in sense of taste and smell.

Well if you cooked it in early February and now it's April then I guess after three months it might get a bit darker with age. ;) Just kidding! ;)

Two months, no kidding. The stuff keeps forever in the fridge (for some values of forever ;))

Well I was kidding, but seriously fresh cabbage is one of the longest lasting vegetables I can think of, in terms of refrigerator longevity. I was just reading this in some topic here on the forum yesterday, maybe posted by you TL, you just put back in the fridge any part you don't need, then next time you take it out you peel off the outer leaves and trim the cut part and you're good to go for another portion cut off.

If only lettuce were this nice, particularly bag lettuce that gets orange and/or brown after only 4-6 days in the fridge. I bet a cabbage could go 3 months easy...

Well I was kidding, but seriously fresh cabbage is one of the longest lasting vegetables I can think of, in terms of refrigerator longevity. I was just reading this in some topic here on the forum yesterday, maybe posted by you TL, you just put back in the fridge any part you don't need, then next time you take it out you peel off the outer leaves and trim the cut part and you're good to go for another portion cut off.

If only lettuce were this nice, particularly bag lettuce that gets orange and/or brown after only 4-6 days in the fridge. I bet a cabbage could go 3 months easy...

Wasn't me, but I do that too.

I find that the best way to make lettuce last is to put it in a plastic bag and just put a clothes pin in the middle at the top, so both sides are still open. That way it doesn't dry out and it doesn't get slimy for a long time.

I do a similar thing with lettuce (either bag lettuce or whole lettuce) put it in a plastic bag with a couple paper towels loosely thrown in. My theory is that they absorb excess moisture instead of letting it condense on the lettuce.

Just curious - why do you want to subscribe to an old thread? Do you think someone will add to it?

When you subscribe to a thread it shows up under Subscribed Threads.
Since I plan on making this tonight I wanted it where I knew I could easily find it and review it.
And a year from now when I'm wondering what that pork and hot dog dish was and who posted it... it will still be there under my subscribed threads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom