Liquid Smoke in the Pressure Cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I plan to make-ahead country style spareribs in th epressure cooker on the 3rd of July, and then Slap em on the Barbie on the 4th to heat through & caramelize the sauce.

I will miss the nice flavor I get from cooking the meat on the smoker and wondered if I could put some liquid smoke in the presuure cooker? I have never used the stuff. Do you just need a drop or what?

I've been meaning to ask same kind of question. At first I used to see tons of recipes with it added, but couldn't find anywhere to buy some. Now that i got some I do not see any recipes. Is there any TNT recipes with it out there, folks?

This doesn't really pertain to this thread at all......
But I used to add liquid smoke to some water in a pie tin and set that in my grill when doing ribs a couple years back. Enough to make the water yellow in color. It added a great smoked taste to the ribs. These ribs were on the grill over an hour though, not just to finish off.
Just thought I'd mention that :)

Use a cap full in the water. It'll turn out fine. Or...just add a cap full to the sauce.

So, while you're all here, I was thinking that I would pressure cook the country ribs with Stout, Onions, Peaches and Garlic (an old combiunation I used before I moved away from the peach tree). Do you still agree with a little liquid smoke in there, too? I will still be finishing on the grill with BBQ sauce.

Call me a purist, but

... Do you still agree with a little liquid smoke in there, too? I will still be finishing on the grill with BBQ sauce.
I always thought liquid smoke was a benenfit only if the meat was not going to see a real fire.

Using liquid smoke WHILE grilling certainly will not hurt anything, but it strikes me as overkill.

Tom

I always thought liquid smoke was a benenfit only if the meat was not going to see a real fire.

Using liquid smoke WHILE grilling certainly will not hurt anything, but it strikes me as overkill.

Tom

I understand your concern, let me clarify:

I won't be smoking the ribs on the grill, as a matter of fact I won't really be "cooking" them on the grill at all. I will pressure cook them the night before, and then before the picnic I will sauce them and put them over the grill to reheat them and caramelize the sauce. "Finished" on the grill, if you will.

I just was wondering whether or not the smoke flavoring would complement my recipe.

Back
Top Bottom