Made pork dumplings. What do do with them? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkrohn

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I am new here :) I love to cook but at 22 have not been doing it that long so I am always looking for more ideas.

That being said I have made a lot of pork dumplings (50) which are great by themselves. I am curious if anyone has any ideas of what else I could do with them? I will include the recipe below so you can get a feel for what they are like.

1 lb ground pork
3 cups scallions
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 lb bok choy
1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger

Here is to not having to eat 50 dumplings by themselves...
Thanks!
Jkrohn

jk, welcome!!!:)

make some pork soup base and eat with egg noodles and your dumplings. Add some browned garlic in oil to your bowl when serving and it'll be great!
Other ingredients you can add to your bowl of noodles:
quail eggs
char sui pork (Chinese style red pork)
chinese chives (add fresh, not cooked)
whole shrimp (cooked)
shanghai cabbage (green cabbage, looks like baby bok choy) - cooked

Oh, I forgot to mention, if the pork soup takes too much time, you can always cheat and buy some premade stuff at your local Asian store (if there is one by you). You can usually find some sort of premade broth in a can.

My soup base is really simple, pork bones, whole onion, carrots and diakon w/ a little rock sugar, ginger and fish sauce or salt.

(Un)Fortunately I live up in the mountains of CO. Great for snowboarding, not great for cooking :) I drive 30 minutes just to get to a grocery store which BTW is Walmart :) We don't even have a butcher :(

As a result I pretty much make everything myself. I will give the soup a try, how long does it take?

Jkrohn

5 or 6 hours at least, the longer the better. If you don't have the time, maybe you can take store bought broth and doctor it up.

Sounds a little like Lion's Head Soup - just google it. Basically the meatballs are made the same way (less scallions, addition of ginger) then the bok choy is placed under the meatballs and it is cooked in the oven. Good stuff!!! I usually just cook mine on top of stove - turns out just as good. Just use chicken broth (I prefer the low sodium)

You could also make something like an Italian Wedding Soup - it would be close. In your broth add some spinach and tubettini or acini de pepi pasta.

So many things to do!

Soups
Asian 'ravoli' with lime ginger butter sauce
Asian noodle salad, with meatballs
Asian lettuce wraps

Vietnamese Noodle Salad
4 oz thin rice noodles
1/4 c rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1 tb sugar
1 tb Asian fish sauce
1/4 ts salt
1 carrot, coarsely shredded
2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
1 c loosely packed mixed fresh cilantro, mint, and basil leaves, torn roughly chopped
1/4 c chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts

1.Soak noodles in hot water 10 minutes, then drain in a large sieve.
2.Cook noodles in a 4-quart pot of boiling water, uncovered, until tender, about 1 minute. Drain in sieve and rinse under cold water until cold. Drain well and pat noodles dry.
3.Whisk together vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, and salt in a large bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add noodles, carrot, scallions, herbs, and peanuts, tossing to combine.

Are the dumplings already made? Go ahead and freeze 'em. Then pull them out as needed for potstickers or an addition to soup.

I've tried chicken broth, for me, it's just not the same. It's not got the flavor that I am used to. It might work ok for someone who doesn't eat Asian style noodle soup on a regular basis. I've tried doctoring up chicken broth, but again, didn't care for it. Though you should give it a try, never know, you may like it.

Back
Top Bottom