"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Makin' Bacon 2! Canadian too, eh!?

I am making bacon again. This time with the addition of Canadian, or back bacon.

The more I ate the first batch the more I liked it. I decided it wasn't too sweet, just different. Nonetheless I am changing the recipe up some. After talking with the butcher today it was determined that the main element to making bacon is the pink curing salt. The rest is just flavoring, though it's recommended to use at least some salt. So this time I am trying another recipe I found for a dry cure and going half and half with the salt and sugar. My ingredients were for 5 lbs, but a 4.51 belly was close enough for me.

2 tsp curing salt
1/4c kosher salt
1/4c white sugar

Same method. Rub the belly down, put it in a ziploc bag and let it cure for a week. This time I am using a center section from the pork belly, so it's a bit more uniform. It was also about $0.50/lb more
I will slice this thinner and use it for wrapping and doing bacon weaves... after it passes quality control
And this section of the belly was noticeably wider than the first, but I really didn't want to cut it in half or section it. No way it would fit inside my lasagna dish, nor my deep dish pizza pan... Some improvisation had me reaching for my oven's broiler pan. It rested in there just fine. It's important to keep the meat in contact with the liquids once they show up in a few days.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	17936

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	17937

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	17938

Onto the Canadian bacon, being made from a 1.75 lb pork loin.
I found one internet recipe using a dry cure. The rest seemed to favor brining. Perhaps because it's a denser meat? The dry cure recipe also said to cure the meat for about a week, so that's what I went with. It also uses a lot more curing salt/lb than typical american bacon.

The rub per lb is:
1 TBS curing salt
1 tsp sugar

I went 2 and 2 and left some in the bowl. Again, close enough for me.
The loin gets trimmed of fat, rubbed and wrapped up. I used plastic wrap to help it hold a round shape. I read someone tying their loin when brining for the same reason. I will find out if the meat takes a "set" and turns from oval to round this time next week. I also used my foodsaver to help keep things tight to the meat.

Name:	C1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	17939

Name:	C2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	17940

Name:	C3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	17941

Name:	C4.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	17942

And now we wait.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Cook

The bacon that everyone is used to buying is made from side- mot belly as so many folks say- Bacon certainty can be made from belly though. The appearance of the slice will be slightly different
this is belly

Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Cook

THIS IS SIDE

Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Scotty, where does the side bacon come from exactly? Outside the ribs? I've never heard of side bacon.
My butcher buys pork bellies, which he says starts below the ribs. Although your pic of side bacon more resembles mine. Weird. I'm guessing the presence of nipple areas is only found on the belly bacon.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Scotty, where does the side bacon come from exactly? Outside the ribs? I've never heard of side bacon.
My butcher buys pork bellies, which he says starts below the ribs. Although your pic of side bacon more resembles mine. Weird. I'm guessing the presence of nipple areas is only found on the belly bacon.

Yes nipples on the belly if its a female- Pork side is from the side- right on the ribs--the ribs are what's left. Bacon is usually referred to as a side of bacon.

This picture certainly doesn't support my belief????? but it is informative to me at least.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the pic.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mmmm...can't wait...already slobbering on the keyboard in anticipation.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Master Chef

Got an idea: when the Canadian bacon is ready I'll show up with asparagus, eggs, English muffins and ingredients for homemade Hollandaise sauce. Sound OK?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mmmm...can't wait...already slobbering on the keyboard in anticipation.
is there such a thing as investing in keyboard futures?

short it now!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Got an idea: when the Canadian bacon is ready I'll show up with asparagus, eggs, English muffins and ingredients for homemade Hollandaise sauce. Sound OK?

Tags
bacon, recipe

Makin' Bacon 2! Canadian too, eh!? I am making bacon again. This time with the addition of Canadian, or back bacon. The more I ate the first batch the more I liked it. I decided it wasn't too sweet, just different. Nonetheless I am changing the recipe up some. After talking with the butcher today it was determined that the main element to making bacon is the pink curing salt. The rest is just flavoring, though it's recommended to use at least some salt. So this time I am trying another recipe I found for a dry cure and going half and half with the salt and sugar. My ingredients were for 5 lbs, but a 4.51 belly was close enough for me. 2 tsp curing salt 1/4c kosher salt 1/4c white sugar Same method. Rub the belly down, put it in a ziploc bag and let it cure for a week. This time I am using a center section from the pork belly, so it's a bit more uniform. It was also about $0.50/lb more :mad: I will slice this thinner and use it for wrapping and doing bacon weaves... after it passes quality control :pig: And this section of the belly was noticeably wider than the first, but I really didn't want to cut it in half or section it. No way it would fit inside my lasagna dish, nor my deep dish pizza pan... Some improvisation had me reaching for my oven's broiler pan. It rested in there just fine. It's important to keep the meat in contact with the liquids once they show up in a few days. [ATTACH]17936[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]17937[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]17938[/ATTACH] Onto the Canadian bacon, being made from a 1.75 lb pork loin. I found one internet recipe using a dry cure. The rest seemed to favor brining. Perhaps because it's a denser meat? The dry cure recipe also said to cure the meat for about a week, so that's what I went with. It also uses a lot more curing salt/lb than typical american bacon. The rub per lb is: 1 TBS curing salt 1 tsp sugar I went 2 and 2 and left some in the bowl. Again, close enough for me. The loin gets trimmed of fat, rubbed and wrapped up. I used plastic wrap to help it hold a round shape. I read someone tying their loin when brining for the same reason. I will find out if the meat takes a "set" and turns from oval to round this time next week. I also used my foodsaver to help keep things tight to the meat. [ATTACH]17939[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]17940[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]17941[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]17942[/ATTACH] And now we wait. 3 stars 1 reviews