Makin' Bacon 2! Canadian too, eh!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I am making bacon again. This time with the addition of Canadian, or back bacon.

The more I ate the first batch the more I liked it. I decided it wasn't too sweet, just different. Nonetheless I am changing the recipe up some. After talking with the butcher today it was determined that the main element to making bacon is the pink curing salt. The rest is just flavoring, though it's recommended to use at least some salt. So this time I am trying another recipe I found for a dry cure and going half and half with the salt and sugar. My ingredients were for 5 lbs, but a 4.51 belly was close enough for me.

2 tsp curing salt
1/4c kosher salt
1/4c white sugar

Same method. Rub the belly down, put it in a ziploc bag and let it cure for a week. This time I am using a center section from the pork belly, so it's a bit more uniform. It was also about $0.50/lb more :mad:
I will slice this thinner and use it for wrapping and doing bacon weaves... after it passes quality control :pig:
And this section of the belly was noticeably wider than the first, but I really didn't want to cut it in half or section it. No way it would fit inside my lasagna dish, nor my deep dish pizza pan... Some improvisation had me reaching for my oven's broiler pan. It rested in there just fine. It's important to keep the meat in contact with the liquids once they show up in a few days.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Onto the Canadian bacon, being made from a 1.75 lb pork loin.
I found one internet recipe using a dry cure. The rest seemed to favor brining. Perhaps because it's a denser meat? The dry cure recipe also said to cure the meat for about a week, so that's what I went with. It also uses a lot more curing salt/lb than typical american bacon.

The rub per lb is:
1 TBS curing salt
1 tsp sugar

I went 2 and 2 and left some in the bowl. Again, close enough for me.
The loin gets trimmed of fat, rubbed and wrapped up. I used plastic wrap to help it hold a round shape. I read someone tying their loin when brining for the same reason. I will find out if the meat takes a "set" and turns from oval to round this time next week. I also used my foodsaver to help keep things tight to the meat.
C1.jpg
C2.jpg
C3.jpg
C4.jpg

And now we wait.

The bacon that everyone is used to buying is made from side- mot belly as so many folks say- Bacon certainty can be made from belly though. The appearance of the slice will be slightly different
this is belly

img_1269050_0_8cfb6b9ab35ed245475e628d092c8ffb.jpg

Scotty, where does the side bacon come from exactly? Outside the ribs? I've never heard of side bacon.
My butcher buys pork bellies, which he says starts below the ribs. Although your pic of side bacon more resembles mine. Weird. I'm guessing the presence of nipple areas is only found on the belly bacon.

Scotty, where does the side bacon come from exactly? Outside the ribs? I've never heard of side bacon.
My butcher buys pork bellies, which he says starts below the ribs. Although your pic of side bacon more resembles mine. Weird. I'm guessing the presence of nipple areas is only found on the belly bacon.

Yes nipples on the belly if its a female- Pork side is from the side- right on the ribs--the ribs are what's left. Bacon is usually referred to as a side of bacon.

This picture certainly doesn't support my belief????? but it is informative to me at least.

cuts.jpg

Got an idea: when the Canadian bacon is ready I'll show up with asparagus, eggs, English muffins and ingredients for homemade Hollandaise sauce. Sound OK?

yup, they are. if you fail a urine test because of opiates from poppy seeds, you can ask to have it retested because of your consumption of the seeds. a good lab can detect the difference.

don't ask me how i know. :angel:

Judge Kathy Sutula of Cleveland (AND a high school classmate of mine!) had a guy in court for violating parole by having a positive drug test. He claimed he had eaten three Everything bagels from Einstein's or Bruegger's. She actually went to the same shop, bought three of the bagels, and ate them! Yup, her drug test was positive. :LOL:

Her warning to the parolee? Don't eat any bagels before his next drug test. :ROFLMAO:

lol, cg.

but what if they're that good? :neutral:

:rolleyes:

another interesting off topic factoid is they can now detect whether you've consumed alcohol within the past 4 or 5 days (depending on how much you drank) from a urine test. a lot of businesses are using these tests before they hire someone.

anywho, back to umm, back bacon.

is canadian bacon called b'eh-con? ;)

Now I know why the Postmaster hasn't delivered my shipping crate of bacon. :yum:

You're waiting to include the Canadian Bacon too. ;)

Guess I'll have to stop bugging them for awhile. :pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom