Makin' Bacon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lessee, you identify your location as "NW PA". Erie is in northwest PA. Hope this helps: Erie Butcher Shops

Looks like Erie proper has a dozen butchers. You have to be able to find what you need, right?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet :LOL:
Interesting list. I guess if you sell sliced meat you can call yourself a butcher.
I'm sure if I can get a British cut of bacon it will be my original choice of Urbaniaks. Unless I buy the whole pig at some of the farms on the list.

so, pacnar, now that you know how to sail eest to invade a land of riches (a metaphor), it seems rhat all you need to do is be better at choosing the cut.

i'd imagine a cross section of the next cut you buy, maybe smaller cuts for qualty assurance, would be what you're looking for future tries. sort of like like looking into that tiny window on a package of bacon in the store to see how fatty/streaky it is.

'm looking forward to future bacons.

i am in awe, and pledge my bacon arm rings and fealty to you...

Yes, I'll have to see if I can choose my cross section without buying the whole belly. Next time I'm in the store I'll see what the bacon they are selling looks like. I packaged it up last night and on average I'd say it was 2.5:1 fat to meat, so it was about right. Of course, a lot would depend on the swine, too, and where he buys from. Just like some ribs are fattier than others.

And I always knew how to sail east. Sailing west was the challenge.
Now stand. You are like a brother to me.
And partake of the pork :pig:

The bacon was done on the 9th.

It's now the 12th.

I paid for express shipping on my SASSC.

Guess I'd better be at the post office early tomorrow. ;)

I can't wait to dig into that fantastic looking bacon. :yum:

This isn't going to turn out like the 10 million Ed McMahon promised me is it? :ermm:

I'm still waiting for that to show up. :mad:

I sure hope one of those postal workers hasn't lost it in there truck like they have with my 10 mil. :D

There was a story... about packs of stray dogs stealing mail from letter carriers... :whistling

This is why I have cats and not dogs. ;)

Ethel and Lucy would never steal my bacon. :(

I didn't receive my bacon today but the postal worker sure had a smile on her face. :)

It was the kind of smile you get after you've eaten some really fantastic bacon. :rolleyes:

Ya don't think......... :mad:

Can you believe I am almost baconless? Devoid of pork candy? Ouch.
I've been a little preoccupied with another project the past week and I'll order another belly tomorrow, but won't be able to get it until next Tuesday. Much too late. Later than I wanted anyway. Then there's that whole 7 day cure thing...
Maybe I can put in a call tomorrow early and my butcher will save me some of his order.

" I am almost baconless?"

Isn't there a law against that? :huh:

It truly is a crime to have no bacon. :pig:

Be sure to order enough to feed all the folks here at DC. ;)

I don't mean to bring this topic down, but I'm not at all happy with the major name bacon in my supermarket lately. Hormel Black label bacon, Oscar Meyer, and Farmer John bacon and the Essentials line of less expensive bacon are my only choices.

I've not tried those brand names center cut bacon yet. It's a lot more expensive.
Anyone prefer only center cut bacon?

OJ and bacon. That's all I need. Forget coconuts and sunshine.

P.S. I've been cooking a lot bacon recently to season my Lodge 9" preseasoned skillet. I can now say that water practically jumps off the pan when I rinse it after cleaning. Finally! Before, water would sheet on the pan upon rinsing, after cleaning.

Last edited:
The name brand center cut bacon is good but, I don't think the significantly higher price is justified.

I find the best bacon in the deli case at my old 1950's style grocery store. It is slab bacon that is sliced to order. The bacon is very smoky, much dryer and yields less fat when fried. The downside is that it costs $8.00/pound. I deal with the higher price by having one slice of great bacon instead of two slices of good bacon. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:(:( Last year I bought two packages of thick cut house brand bacon. I used to eat it all the time. Hickory smoked, not a lot of fat and delicious.

Now I am going to say something really bad. So block your ears if you don't want to hear nasty words.

For some reason, I no longer eat bacon. The last two packages I bought I gave to Spike. I just have no taste for bacon any longer. Well at least I didn't throw them away. And Spike can eat a whole pound by himself in one sitting. Even Teddy loves it. Spike hates to share it with him, but who can resist those eyes.

I know get out the soap. I will wash my own mouth with it.

Something has happened to my appetite and taste buds. I can only eat very small amounts and a lot of my favorite foods have no appeal to me. Like bacon. I don't even like egg sandwiches with runny yolks anymore. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom