Makin' Bacon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do.
But sometimes the bacon takes up more than the allotted room :pig:

:pig: Which is more important? Bacon or the other stuff? Get rid of some of the other stuff to make room for more bacon. Geesh! Do I have to teach you everything? :angel:

I do.
But sometimes the bacon takes up more than the allotted room :pig:

:mad:

That nice Postmaster still hasn't found my SASSC. :evil:

And I have noticed she seems to be wearing a larger dress size. :whistling

I have lots of extra space in my freezer if you need it. :mrgreen:

And I promise not to eat any. :rolleyes:

Just trying to be friendly with an offer of space I'm not using. ;)

That Turtle Burger caught my eye. I googled it to see if it was for real. I am amazed!

I might be run off from this thread, but I don't like bacon. I find it too salty. I will eat it on a BLT because it's with other things. I also like chicken livers wrapped in bacon and broiled. But bacon by itself, no. When I lived with my mother, everything was fried in bacon grease.

Back in the day... when bacon was really salty... I used to buy the less salt version. Even I didn't have a taste for most bacon twenty years ago and would usually order ham or sausage with breakfast.
I know, strange but true story, lol.

"Bacon for Blue crabs, Zagnut."

Deal! :whistling

Just tell me how you want them. :D

I don't think live would be advised unless you want a bushel of dead crabs.

Steamed will take the shipping but I need to know what seasoning you'd like.

Nothing beats them fresh out of the bay so how about you come down for a crab feast with fresh corn and other fresh veggies on the menu. There might also be a few cold beers included. ;)

They don't call this the land of pleasant living for nothing. :yum:

But make sure you bring the bacon. :clap:

"I might be run off from this thread, but I don't like bacon. I find it too salty. I will eat it on a BLT because it's with other things. I also like chicken livers wrapped in bacon and broiled. But bacon by itself, no."

CarolPa,

Oh you do like bacon.

You just don't want it straight up. :rolleyes:

That's a redeeming value so you won't be run off the thread. :bounce:

But if you say you don't like bacon again. :bash:

"Bacon for Blue crabs, Zagnut."

"I might be run off from this thread, but I don't like bacon. I find it too salty. I will eat it on a BLT because it's with other things. I also like chicken livers wrapped in bacon and broiled. But bacon by itself, no."

CarolPa,

Oh you do like bacon.

You just don't want it straight up. :rolleyes:

That's a redeeming value so you won't be run off the thread. :bounce:

But if you say you don't like bacon again. :bash:

Well, I don't want that, so my lips are sealed! Except when I'm eating or talking, which is most anytime!

I decided to go with the whole side of pork belly this time. Kind of neat the way they tri-fold it for packaging.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 149
I may have to cook some bacon in self defense. As much as I enjoy your bacon making pictorials, it makes me really hungry for BACON!

After this bacon session I may have to re-think my endeavours.
At 4 bucks/lb for the belly, plus the trimming to get nice strips of actual bacon, this is going to cost as much as good storebought bacon. And I can buy that on sale for $4/lb.
Smoking isn't like cooking. I like the results, but the rest is pretty boring.

After this bacon session I may have to re-think my endeavours.
At 4 bucks/lb for the belly, plus the trimming to get nice strips of actual bacon, this is going to cost as much as good storebought bacon. And I can buy that on sale for $4/lb.
Smoking isn't like cooking. I like the results, but the rest is pretty boring.

You make good points. Smoking is a lot of standing around watching a thermometer. It really boils down to spending the same money and a lot of time for a better bacon and a sense of pride in your accomplishment.

Sometimes I will try a new recipe/process and once I know I can do it, I lose interest in doing it again.

Yes, I liked making bacon better when the price of pork belly was closer to $3.00 than $4.00.

Regular bacon, at least the brands I am willing to buy, not fancy not thick sliced, not apple wood smoked, hover above $5/ lb. I think I paid 6. 89 last month. I've got three strips for weekend breakfast treat on stand-by. So it may well be a savings for you yet. Although I don't know how to figure in your other ingredients cost, plus time. The WSM sitting there Empty and Waiting is an expense that is reversible when you use it. And the bonus is of course, the satisfaction of being able to make your own and improving or tinkering with your method as you go along.

Sugardale, my favorite storebought brand, is on sale this week for I kid you not, $3.00/16oz... I had to look twice. Not 12, 16.
Needless to say by the end of next week I'm going to have a LOT of bacon in the freezer.
I can't believe it's that's cheap. Figures. I'm going to have to have a talk with my butcher and find out why bellies have gone up so much.

Sugardale, my favorite storebought brand, is on sale this week for I kid you not, $3.00/16oz... I had to look twice. Not 12, 16.
Needless to say by the end of next week I'm going to have a LOT of bacon in the freezer.
I can't believe it's that's cheap. Figures. I'm going to have to have a talk with my butcher and find out why bellies have gone up so much.

I have seen some reports on the news that baby pigs are dying from a virus and the price of pork is expected to rise by about 13% this year.

I still see bacon for $2.99/lb in my area, but it is becoming scarce. The premium bacon from the deli counter is now over $9.00/lb. Pretty soon I will have to start eating fried bologna for breakfast, flashback to my starving student days! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom