"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #241
Chef Extraordinaire

I hope they find a cure. No pun intended.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #242
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Like!

Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #243
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sure, Good one Pac. Belongs in Today's Funny.

I saw a report the other night that due to the methane gases that their poop produces, a lot of pig farms are losing a lot of their herds due to the corporation size barns. The combustibility of the gases are causing the barns to burst into flames with the animals inside. Does this sentence make any sense reading? It look like some of those barns were at least 1/4 mile long. One farm had their barn burn down twice. Looks like some little piggies aren't going to market.

Water does not put out flames created by methane gases. The barns had to be allowed to burn to the ground.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sure, Good one Pac. Belongs in Today's Funny.

I saw a report the other night that due to the methane gases that their poop produces, a lot of pig farms are losing a lot of their herds due to the corporation size barns. The combustibility of the gases are causing the barns to burst into flames with the animals inside. Does this sentence make any sense reading? It look like some of those barns were at least 1/4 mile long. One farm had their barn burn down twice. Looks like some little piggies aren't going to market.

Water does not put out flames created by methane gases. The barns had to be allowed to burn to the ground.
Oh boy... this thread is deteriorating
Good one!

I thought their places were all tile and sanitary now, with pigs just getting small stalls. I can't imagine there isn't some kind of air-flow system to keep gasses from building up. Even garbage dumps have a methane collection station and pipes running into the mound of garbage. Interesting. Poor pigs.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #245
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh boy... this thread is deteriorating
Good one!

I thought their places were all tile and sanitary now, with pigs just getting small stalls. I can't imagine there isn't some kind of air-flow system to keep gasses from building up. Even garbage dumps have a methane collection station and pipes running into the mound of garbage. Interesting. Poor pigs.
They brought in expert fire inspectors, insurance people and people from the State Farm Department to look at the problem. When the farmers were rebuilding they followed all of the recommendations. The fires are continuing in the new barns. In one barn, ever single pen is smaller than they were in the old barn and has an exhaust fan above it. All poop goes directly through the slats on the floor to the bins under the ground. All bins are hosed down every day. The problem seems to be that the gases rise to the top of the building faster than it can be pulled out with the fans. I personally think they need smaller barns. Break it all down to smaller barns like they had before with all the new improvements. installed
Old 04-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #246
Head Chef

After camping out in front of the Post Office all winter waiting for my bacon to arrive (It wasn't too bad except for the two 10 inch snows) I'd just about given up hope I'd be seeing any bacon.

But now I see there is renewed hope of seeing some of Pac's wonderful product.

Guess I'd better patch the holes the winter caused in my tent.

Pac, You said you wanted me to send you some crabs. Well now that season is about to start I'm going to send you a large case of them and I really hope they arrive.

Yes you heard right. I hope you get a big case of crabs.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #247
Chef Extraordinaire

ouch
Old 04-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #248
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

ROFL!!! Zagut!

I found a 3 lb package of bacon ends and pieces for $1.49 a pound. Going to dice up the larger pieces and fry it all up for the grease and the tasty bits to put in soups, on salads, etc.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

I love those big packages of bacon pieces. There's some pretty good bacon in there. It's just not anything you could wrap a spear of asparagus with. Definitely a shrimp though.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #250
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's also from a local smokehouse!

Tags
bacon, recipe

Makin' Bacon! My first attempt at making my own bacon :pig: I will start this week long process by showing the pics from last night. The pork belly. [ATTACH]17816[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]17818[/ATTACH] The rub, or cure. Sugar- 1/2c + 3TB Kosher salt- 2TB + 2tsp Pepper- 1/2tsp Pink curing salt- 1-1/2tsp [ATTACH]17817[/ATTACH] Placed in a lasagna pan and rubbed all over. [ATTACH]17819[/ATTACH] And then placed into a ziploc bag and back into the pan. This will now be cured for seven days in the refrigerator. During this time it is supposed to prodice liquids which will be "massaged" back into the belly so the cure stays evenly distributed. [ATTACH]17820[/ATTACH] To be continued... 3 stars 1 reviews