Makin' Bacon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before you fire your bacon ammo could you give us all a heads-up? We can be waiting with toasted bread or pizza dough when it launches, giving us more area to catch the flying goodness with! :LOL:

Pounding knifes and forks on table. (As per Buckytoms instructions.) :eek:

"We want Bacon!"

"We want Bacon!"

"We want Bacon!"

:bangin:

And we don't wanna wait. ;)

After all it's bacon we're talking about here. :pig:

Pounding knifes and forks on table. (As per Buckytoms instructions.) :eek:

"We want Bacon!"

"We want Bacon!"

"We want Bacon!"

:bangin:

And we don't wanna wait. ;)

After all it's bacon we're talking about here. :pig:

imagesCA00PQSM.jpg

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand,
it will be time for you to eat bacon.

In case you need an idea what to do with that bacon:

Thanks. I think I've got it covered :)
turtle burger.JPG

Plus I've got one of those small recipe books you see in the grocery store line... 97 uses for bacon (or something like that) :chef:

It is definitely feeling more firm.
It's got a few more hours before phase-2.

Destination Channel has US of Bacon on for the next couple hours.
Just sayin'.

:pig: No bacon for the kitties! And that is an order. No matter how cute you think they are! :angel:

Lucy & Ethel would chew my arm off if they couldn't have a taste of bacon every now and then. :D

And you can wrap my cats in bacon any time you want because they'd simply bring it home for me. ;)

I figured an envelope wasn't big enough so I sent you a SASSC. (Self Addressed Stamped Shipping Crate) :whistling

Hope it's big enough. :yum:

SASSC? :LOL:

Attachments

• tumblr_m8e127HRX91rb0grho1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m8e127HRX91rb0grho1_500.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 156
Phase-2

I took the 4 lb slab out of the ziploc, rinsed it off fairly well (you can still see some pepper that was being obstinate), then placed it on four chopsticks back into the glass pan. This way air can circulate all around. Then back into the fridge just like you see it to dry.
As I was holding it in my hand and turning it under the faucet I really noticed how much it had firmed up. I would say it was like holding a well done piece of meat, but I've never held a well done piece of meat ;) It felt like the thumb to pinky doneness test on your hand.

And after watching two hour of bacon shows on TV I noticed how apple seemed to be the wood of choice in the bacon they were using, so I think I'll use a mixture of apple wood with just a little hickory added. I could probably cut the slab in half and do two smokes tomorrow, but I will be waiting on my new thermometer set to arrive and am not sure how long it will take on a lower temp than I am used to smoking, so the whole slab will be done one way.

It looks like more pink spots appeared. I'm guessing that is from the pink curing salt, but I know I had it mixed pretty well. I'll have to pay attention to that more next slab.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 177
Back
Top Bottom