Makin' Bacon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you tease, you.

hey, tomorrow's thursday, isn't.

it'll forever be known as bacon day every fortnight.

or woe be pacnar. :neutral:

pac, apple and hickory are all use for smoking. i've used mesquite, oak, maple, cherry, and a few others, all in different combos, but i've settled on hickory and apple. i've even tried driedrasperry canes. but since i have a monstrous apple tree in my backyard that provides me with trimmed (for the pool) or dead branches (because i don't know what i'm doing when trimming :huh: ), i chunck up the apple and buy easily available and smaller chipped hickory. the combo provides a really nice, gentle but noticeable smoke.

i've used it often enough that i can pick it out when i smell it, much like pot smoke :cool: , and i sound really knowledgeable when i can tell someone that they're using hickory and apple.

i can't wait for tomorrow night.

you're not gonna make us wait until friday, are ya? :glare:

img_1265941_0_1a069de25ee9e7a53aa7f19621d08782.png

That's about all I use, too, Bucky. And maple and cherry, but to a much lesser extent.

I'm already reading up on Canadian bacon :yum:

That one might be tough for the butcher to get.
Nobody actually butchers their own meat from carcasses up here anymore... unless you are buying an animal from a farm.
Up here even the butcher shops buy the cuts already broken down and take it from there.

ooh, i haven't had <<ahem>> irish back bacon in a long time. not since i had a traditional irish breakfast on mcclean ave in the bronx.

that looks so good.

That one might be tough for the butcher to get.
Nobody actually butchers their own meat from carcasses up here anymore... unless you are buying an animal from a farm.
Up here even the butcher shops buy the cuts already broken down and take it from there.

British/Irish back bacon is from the loin. That should be easy to come by.

Andy, doesn't it need that small part of the belly attached?
I just did a quick Google and it mentioned the loin and the belly in one piece, like the pic.

That small piece may not be there if you bought a boneless loin. If you went with a full loin with bones, I think it would be there. It's usually part of the chops. Then your butcher could bone it for you (or you could do it), leaving that piece attached.

Thanks. I'll put that on the list. Right after Canadian bacon.

Looks like the difference between Canadian/back bacon and British/Irish bacon is the tail on the loin and the preparation method. That is, they both use the loin.

I'm sensing another challenge... :ermm:
Pacanis' Personal Pig Challenge - Makin' Bacon in every country :LOL:
Maybe take a detour around the Middle East... ;)

If I recall Kylie posted some bacon that looked just like that British bacon from her trip. I think I asked her what kind of meat it was. It looked delicious all cooked up.

More Pig Pics

It's on the smoker and doing it's thing.
I ran into a small mechanical difficulty early on. I thought 1/4 chimney of lit charcoal would get me hovering around 180F. It didn't. It stalled at 156 and barely ignited my chips. Another 1/4 chimney and we're cruising along at 200F right now with the WSM throttled back some. Close to my target temp of 180...
The slab was 36F when it went on and is 90 right now. More than halfway home, but I don't want it done too quickly. Not before it can suck up a lot of smoke and hopefully not shrink much by cooking slower.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 172
Good question.
It's cured. It's smoked/cooked.
I guess if it was 200 years ago it wouldn't need refrigerated, or if you were a hermit in the woods.

I remember a discussion years ago about not refrigerating cooked breakfast bacon if you were going to use it later on for supper. For what that's worth.

I suppose if I had a cool root cellar I could hang it up. I don't know if anyone practices this today if they don't have to. I think I will visit Google.

I thought so, too. It looks like it's all about the moisture content.

But we know we have to have that moisture content to be able to wrap it around shrimp and asparagus and onions and fatties and scallops and filet mignon and mushrooms and jalapenos and...

Fifteen degrees more to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom