Makin' Bacon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope they find a cure. No pun intended.

Sure, Good one Pac. Belongs in Today's Funny.

I saw a report the other night that due to the methane gases that their poop produces, a lot of pig farms are losing a lot of their herds due to the corporation size barns. The combustibility of the gases are causing the barns to burst into flames with the animals inside. Does this sentence make any sense reading? It look like some of those barns were at least 1/4 mile long. One farm had their barn burn down twice. Looks like some little piggies aren't going to market.

Water does not put out flames created by methane gases. The barns had to be allowed to burn to the ground. :angel:

Sure, Good one Pac. Belongs in Today's Funny.

I saw a report the other night that due to the methane gases that their poop produces, a lot of pig farms are losing a lot of their herds due to the corporation size barns. The combustibility of the gases are causing the barns to burst into flames with the animals inside. Does this sentence make any sense reading? It look like some of those barns were at least 1/4 mile long. One farm had their barn burn down twice. Looks like some little piggies aren't going to market.

Water does not put out flames created by methane gases. The barns had to be allowed to burn to the ground. :angel:

Oh boy... this thread is deteriorating :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Good one!

I thought their places were all tile and sanitary now, with pigs just getting small stalls. I can't imagine there isn't some kind of air-flow system to keep gasses from building up. Even garbage dumps have a methane collection station and pipes running into the mound of garbage. Interesting. Poor pigs.

Oh boy... this thread is deteriorating :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Good one!

I thought their places were all tile and sanitary now, with pigs just getting small stalls. I can't imagine there isn't some kind of air-flow system to keep gasses from building up. Even garbage dumps have a methane collection station and pipes running into the mound of garbage. Interesting. Poor pigs.

They brought in expert fire inspectors, insurance people and people from the State Farm Department to look at the problem. When the farmers were rebuilding they followed all of the recommendations. The fires are continuing in the new barns. In one barn, ever single pen is smaller than they were in the old barn and has an exhaust fan above it. All poop goes directly through the slats on the floor to the bins under the ground. All bins are hosed down every day. The problem seems to be that the gases rise to the top of the building faster than it can be pulled out with the fans. I personally think they need smaller barns. Break it all down to smaller barns like they had before with all the new improvements. installed :angel:

After camping out in front of the Post Office all winter waiting for my bacon to arrive (It wasn't too bad except for the two 10 inch snows) I'd just about given up hope I'd be seeing any bacon. :(

But now I see there is renewed hope of seeing some of Pac's wonderful product. :yum:

Guess I'd better patch the holes the winter caused in my tent. ;)

Pac, You said you wanted me to send you some crabs. Well now that season is about to start I'm going to send you a large case of them and I really hope they arrive. :D

Yes you heard right. I hope you get a big case of crabs. :whistling

ROFL!!! Zagut!

I found a 3 lb package of bacon ends and pieces for $1.49 a pound. Going to dice up the larger pieces and fry it all up for the grease and the tasty bits to put in soups, on salads, etc.

I love those big packages of bacon pieces. There's some pretty good bacon in there. It's just not anything you could wrap a spear of asparagus with. Definitely a shrimp though.

Sugardale, my favorite storebought brand, is on sale this week for I kid you not, $3.00/16oz... I had to look twice. Not 12, 16.
Needless to say by the end of next week I'm going to have a LOT of bacon in the freezer.
I can't believe it's that's cheap. Figures. I'm going to have to have a talk with my butcher and find out why bellies have gone up so much.

So we know where the party is going to be then. :yum:

I found a 3 lb package of bacon ends and pieces for $1.49 a pound. Going to dice up the larger pieces and fry it all up for the grease and the tasty bits to put in soups, on salads, etc.

I used to buy them all the time when I live out west and in Texas. I guess us Easterners are just too sophisticated for them. I have never seen them anywhere in the Boston market. If I ever do, I will definitely stock up. :angel:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen those boxes of bacon ends and pieces in a long time. Used to get them all the time. I will sure grab a couple of boxes if I see them in the grocery store again.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen those boxes of bacon ends and pieces in a long time. Used to get them all the time. I will sure grab a couple of boxes if I see them in the grocery store again.

We don't have them in my area either. :(

When I was a kid I would buy those bacon ends and pieces, a sack of potatoes, a dozen eggs and a loaf of white supermarket bread to get me through the week until payday.

A real bad week was a sack of potatoes and 5 turkey pot pies for a dollar! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't think I have ever seen those boxes of bacon ends.

That is too bad, the ends and pieces are so wonderful. Some of the pieces are all meat. Almost like a bacon cured ham steak...nom, nom, nom.

And all the bacon crunchies, I eat them like candy...no wonder I have a heart problem. Some chunks are big enough to use for bean and ham soup. The boxes are usually about $2 a pound!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom