Makin' bacon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Canadian bacon is the American term for back bacon. But you guys don't often see back bacon?
What do you use when making Eggs Benedict?

Please tell me you have english muffins.

But again, as far as ham and bacon goes, Eastern Europeans smoke and cure so many different cuts of pork that are ham or bacon-like that we would just lump together in the nomenclature of ham or bacon. Each one has a seperate name there, and often a separate way of preparing and/or serving.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I haven't had Russian salo in a long time.

The good stuff is almost pure fat. :pig:

Yeah, Canadian bacon is the American term for back bacon. But you guys don't often see back bacon?
What do you use when making Eggs Benedict?

Please tell me you have english muffins.
We call them muffins Englais ;)
As far as back bacon goes, we can get it, but it's not as common as pork belly bacon or pea meal bacon..you would have to do a bit of searching to find some..

Anyone here ever had jowl bacon? Its a southern thing. I never herd of it until I met my wife. She is from Kentucky.
Never had the Southern version but I am a big fan of the Italian version called Guanciale..

Attachments

• Guanciale.jpg
    Guanciale.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 331
Guanciale is fantastic. It's difficult to find even in Italian neighborhoods here.

Some say a true Carbonara must be made with Guanciale, not Pancetta.

Got a couple more bellys in the fridge cureing. I changed up the recipe a bit. I added some chopped garlic. I also cut down some if the brown sugar. Used maple syrup instead. I have a friend from out east that got me some "real" maple syrup. I also used some sea salt. A friend on another forum posted this recipe so I kind or ran with it. Just put my own twist on it.

https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-to-cure-bacon

I measured out the cure and salt according to the recipe. Every thing we used for flavor we just kind of dumped until it looked good.

Did some loins also for "Canadian bacon" Smoke will be on sunday. We will be using a gas smoker an electric one as well as a wood fired smoker.

Guanciale is fantastic. It's difficult to find even in Italian neighborhoods here.

Some say a true Carbonara must be made with Guanciale, not Pancetta.

The jowl used in the Speck Karen made was originally destine to become guanciale. After years of searching locally and just on a whim, we finally found guanciale next door to the Farmer's Market we got the jowl at on the same day. Glad we did because that Speck is awesome. I agree that Carbonara should be made with guanciale! Pancetta is great for many things including Penne alla Vodka!

The gas smoker and the wood fire did better than the electric. I am really liking my gas smoker. I am old school and always used wood but using gas I didn't have to babysit it constantly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom