Makin' bacon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
My brother added me to a new group on Facebook called makin' bacon. So off to costco I go to get a pork belly. A buddy of mine brought over a pork loin for Canadian bacon. The recipe we used is in the pictures. The pictures of the loin is after 24 hours. The first flip. We will use an electric smoker the first time just because its more dummy proof. That and its cold out right now. I dont want to have to babysit the fire constantly. Its going in the smoker in 8 more days

Attachments

• dbf71d1361c563320bd89786579e291f.jpg
    dbf71d1361c563320bd89786579e291f.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 325130791a668b2bd7f10ff2d0777872.jpg
    325130791a668b2bd7f10ff2d0777872.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 644799990bca6f9022d1e7e9fd7468f2.jpg
    644799990bca6f9022d1e7e9fd7468f2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 919
Every now and then I watch episodes of that cable show "The United States of Bacon."

That overweight host probably has as much fat in his arteries as in the bacon dishes he samples and reviews. :yum: :LOL: :yum:

Last edited:
I'm confused. Mom always had Peameal Bacon which my Dad preferred over regular bacon (the one the British call 'streaky' or a 'rasher'. Later on I came to know it as Canadian Bacon but I assumed it was still Peameal, just known as 'Canadian.'

So what is the 'Canadian Bacon' that the Americans know?

I'm confused. Mom always had Peameal Bacon which my Dad preferred over regular bacon (the one the British call 'streaky' or a 'rasher'. Later on I came to know it as Canadian Bacon but I assumed it was still Peameal, just known as 'Canadian.'

So what is the 'Canadian Bacon' that the Americans know?
What we call Canadian bacon is cut from the loin. It's cured but not smoked.
f42d4a1c-4441-440a-b2a0-781999195970_1.626372b687e600f1e27a76019cc5605a.jpeg

Uh, oh, another shrimp/prawn argument.

I learned the hard way not to try to order plain ham or boiled ham (lunch meat) in a Polish deli. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. Well, after some confusion, they had to go get a girl that spoke better English to understand what I wanted.
Apparently, in Poland there are many, many of different cuts of pork that are cured and/or smoked like a ham, and they are all considered hams in a general way, but they aren't necessarily called ham.

Uh, oh, another shrimp/prawn argument.

I learned the hard way not to try to order plain ham or boiled ham (lunch meat) in a Polish deli. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. Well, after some confusion, they had to go get a girl that spoke better English to understand what I wanted.
Apparently, in Poland there are many, many of different cuts of pork that are cured and/or smoked like a ham, and they are all considered hams in a general way, but they aren't necessarily called ham.
Not every disagreement is an argument.

Sure, different cultures around the world describe foods differently. I was describing what we call these foods in the United States.

Oh sorry, disagreement. smh.
I was talking in general in the thread, not necessarily to you.

There's also a lot of different cuts and terms for bacon. I much prefer Irish bacon over American style fatty/streaky belly bacon.

Last edited:
Lol, I shoulda been more specific. There are 2 kinds of Irish bacon. Maybe more, colloquially speaking. I've heard the term boiled bacon, or a joint of bacon used in Ireland before as well, which is the meat that Americans replaced with corned beef with cabbage and spuds on St. Patty's day. But those are certianly more of a ham. :wacko:

But for frying type bacon, the more British version is aka back bacon, or Canadian bacon. It's made from the rear leg or loin.

The one I like is a cut from between the loin and belly; some of both.

It's not as fatty as American bacon, but not as lean as back bacon. There's a good piece of lean meat with a nice strip of fat on the edge.

Here's a pic of Canadian, American, and Irish. (left, top right, bottom right)

Attachments

• BaconUncooked.JPG
    BaconUncooked.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom