Making baby back ribs for the family this sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
So i was at the butchers shop and got acouple of racks today. Ive got a pretty sweet recipe from the food channel (guys big bite) with spicy cherry glaze. my question is can you marinate ribs? if so for how long because i would be making them on sunday. any suggestions for a good marinade?

ps: im gonna be feeding at least 6 people and as much as 9. any idea what else to make to go with the ribs side dish wise? my moms friend is gonna make a pretty good salad so im good with that. thanks in advance.

Rather than marinate, I'd rub. Rub a spice mix onto the racks, wrap them and refrigerate overnight.

For sides:
Cold Beer
Potato Salad
Beans
Cold beer
Tossed salad
Cole slaw
Corn Bread
Cold Beer

ya guy does a rub in the show but i recorded it 5 minutes to late and i dont really know how to do it. i tried using a steak rub once and i think i put to much or something i dont know it didnt come out right.

ive got some papricka at home, hopefully theres a rub section here but can you maybe break it down for me lol. i believe in the show he somehow used mustard to make the rub stick better or something.

ps: cold what? haha ya your right. ribs, salad and beer.

ya guy does a rub in the show but i recorded it 5 minutes to late and i dont really know how to do it. i tried using a steak rub once and i think i put to much or something i dont know it didnt come out right.

ive got some papricka at home, hopefully theres a rub section here but can you maybe break it down for me lol. i believe in the show he somehow used mustard to make the rub stick better or something.

ps: cold what? haha ya your right. ribs, salad and beer.

You can use Emerils Essence or Montreal steak seasoning or other commercially available rubs. You can try to search here for rub recipes.

I would difinitely have alot of sides and cold beer. 2 "racks" (slabs) of loin backs for 9 people would equate to around 3 bones per person. Which IMHO is an appetizer:LOL:

I would difinitely have alot of sides and cold beer. 2 "racks" (slabs) of loin backs for 9 people would equate to around 3 bones per person. Which IMHO is an appetizer:LOL:
:)I agree one person can easily knock back a half rack you can make some chicken or something else to stretch the meat maybe a mixed grill that has some chicken,sausage etc plus ribs that way you wont run out of meat.

Definatly more very cold beer
Rib Rub

¼ cup sweet paprika
3 TBL Chili powder
3 TBL dry mustard flour (Coleman’s)
¼ to ½ cup Kosher salt
4 TBL sugar
2 TBL ground cumin
2 TBL granulated Garlic not powder!
1 TBL cayenne pepper
1TBL fresh ground black pepper
1/8-.1/4 cup ground celery seed
This is the rub I use and it is a winner

Go with Dave Hutchin's rub. You night substitute brown sugar for the white, but that is just acording to your own tastes which you use. Cook those babies on the grill using the indirect method and low heat. If using charcoal, place the charcoal on one side of the kettle only, with about two inches of empty space to the center. Light the charcoal and wait until very hot. While the charcoal is getting hot, soak apple, cherry, alder, or maple chunks in water. Just before placing the ribs on, put the wood chips/chunks onto the charcoal to insulate the meat from the direct heat, and create flavorful smoke. Place the grill over the charcoal and the ribs on the side opposite the hot coals. Cover and set all vents at the half-open position. Cook for about 2 hours, checking every half hour with a meat thermometer and to make sure the fire doesn't go out. If you want your ribs very juicy, then remove when the meat thermometer reads 160. If you want them "fall-off-the-bone tender, cook to 190 degrees F. These will also have a more robust smokey flavor. Try both and see which ones you like better.

If using gas, heat just one burner and place a disposable pie tin over the flame with the wood chips in it to create the smoke. Put the ribs over the unlit side and cook at a low temperature the same as above.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom