Making sausage tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last year the fellow over at a little Italian grocer gave me 13 pounds of pork bones (from his sausage making) that I make stock out of. Free bones makes stock even cheaper. :)

Rock--I've got the pork in the fridge. Can you share your recipes (techniques)? I bought about 22 lb, but that includes the bone. What do you do with the rind? Thanks!
I would research the internet for techniques. I wasn't totally happy with mine. I didn't have the desired size blade so my sausages were all finer grind which is not really what I wanted. They taste great, but I could have done better. I was given a great grinder but with only one blade. I have to get a few more sizes for sausage making....

I would research the internet for techniques. I wasn't totally happy with mine. I didn't have the desired size blade so my sausages were all finer grind which is not really what I wanted. They taste great, but I could have done better. I was given a great grinder but with only one blade. I have to get a few more sizes for sausage making....
I have the Cuisinart Waring Pro meat grinder--it has three blades. I am confused as to whether or not I separate the meat from the fat or just cube the meat, weigh it, etc. I got the same cuts of pork you used from FB. I did get mine $1 off because the sale ended yesterday. The "chunks" are still in the fridge. The parts to the grinder are chilling...and I found the casings that I bought a year ago...

Last edited:
I've deboned two of the "chunks." I am guessing I have about 6-7 lb of pork. Do I separate the fat from the meat or just chunk it into 1 in. cubes, chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, and then grind and season, stuff? Rock--I find there is a lot of fat on these cuts...hence why they were so cheap. Did you cut off some of the fat, and if so, about how much?

Last edited:
Sausage needs fat... though if you think it truly is excessive you can get rid of some.

I did a double grind when I made my sausage.

Sausage needs fat... though if you think it truly is excessive you can get rid of some.

I did a double grind when I made my sausage.
I agree. I found that a typical roast doesn't have enough fat, so I would use all of it. Unless you want lean sausages. As far as what blade to use, that would depend on what type of sausage you are making. I see some sausages grind the fat larger than the meat. I think this helps the sausage stay moister by the way the larger fat pieces melt while cooking. Not sure. All I know is I ground everything together and wished my sausages were juicier.

Last edited:
Okay--I'm going to try sweet Italian sausage first--using the recipe that came with the grinder, breakfast sausage will be the next blend, and Mexican chorizo (sp) the last one. I thought I was leaving Wednesday for TX--I leave Tuesday a.m., so have to get my hair done on Sunday (my hairdresser is off Mon-Tuesday). EEK! 22 lb of pork to turn into sausage, laundry to finish, and PACK...

The second grinding should help distribute the fat throughout as well.
Yeah. I wonder about that. I don't know if there is a difference in the final cooked result, as to what size you grind your fat....I do think the average person would be shocked to see exactly how much fat actually goes into a nice juicy sausage.

Okay--I'm going to try sweet Italian sausage first--using the recipe that came with the grinder, breakfast sausage will be the next blend, and Mexican chorizo (sp) the last one. I thought I was leaving Wednesday for TX--I leave Tuesday a.m., so have to get my hair done on Sunday (my hairdresser is off Mon-Tuesday). EEK! 22 lb of pork to turn into sausage, laundry to finish, and PACK...
Better get grinding......
:)

I haven't tried but I wonder if you could render it for lard. Hmmm...
You definitely would get some out of it. I have tried it before. We used to cut it up in small squares and fry it up, then turn down the heat and let it fry until there were just small bits left floating in the lard. We would drain them on paper towel and lay the salt to them and let them cool a bit before crunching them down. I'm suprised I am still alive to tell the tale. :LOL: I never kept the lard.

You definitely would get some out of it. I have tried it before. We used to cut it up in small squares and fry it up, then turn down the heat and let it fry until there were just small bits left floating in the lard. We would drain them on paper towel and lay the salt to them and let them cool a bit before crunching them down. I'm suprised I am still alive to tell the tale. :LOL: I never kept the lard.
I was thinking of chopping it for the chickens...or doing exactly that, frying it for "pork rinds..."BTW, you could've warned me I'd be "skinning a pig" in my kitchen tonight...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom