"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn25 View Post
You know I have never thought about that but adding the cayenne pepper to it does sound good.

However I would love to find a way of marinading it in something to give it that maple flavor .
If your cure has maple sugar in it, you should get that maple flavor.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If your cure has maple sugar in it, you should get that maple flavor.
Because I have an abundance of maple syrup, I often will add that to the bacon while it is cooking. It ends up caramelized and has a smoked-maple flavour--sort of like when you are evapping sap over wood.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Because I have an abundance of maple syrup, I often will add that to the bacon while it is cooking. It ends up caramelized and has a smoked-maple flavour--sort of like when you are evapping sap over wood.
lol I tried that one time didn't work out I think the problem was the syrup caused the bacon to burn very quickly so kinda wanted to do it a different way they way the factories do it
Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol I tried that one time didn't work out I think the problem was the syrup caused the bacon to burn very quickly so kinda wanted to do it a different way they way the factories do it
I add the syrup towards the end and then I turn the skillet down.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marajo View Post
Friends tell me of a restuarant on the Oregon coast of the town Newport where the bacon is fabulous. According to the clerk the bacon is marinated in a homemade marinade that includes cayenne pepper. Any one ever marinate their bacon?
Do they mean that bacon which is already bacon is marinated before cooking or do they mean that "marinating" is their word for how the meat is cured to make bacon?

Because curing and marinating are two different things.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Do they mean that bacon which is already bacon is marinated before cooking or do they mean that "marinating" is their word for how the meat is cured to make bacon?

Because curing and marinating are two different things.
That post is from 2007.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Bacon is something I don't intend to be eaten as is at the end of the smoke. I just want the flavor from the maple and smoke. Cold smoking is the way to go, but you must add something equivalent to cure #1 to prevent bacteria from forming during the process. No burning during cold smoking. I want my bacon to already have that flavor before it hits the pan!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
You know I have never thought about that but adding the cayenne pepper to it does sound good.

However I would love to find a way of marinading it in something to give it that maple flavor .
Rather than marinating, or brining the bacon, make a maple glaze for your bacon. Brush on the glaze and roast in the oven until it's as crisp as you like.

Other good flavors with bacon include apple, honey, honey-mustard, molasses and brown sugar, and butterscotch/caramel, with all of them made better with a touch of liquid smoke.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

big bro, liquid smoke is one of the few things that you and i disagree on.

i really don't like liquid smoke. i'm sure i've had a few dishes where it was added, but it was in such a small amount that it was nearly undetectable against other bigger flavours.

last night i was thrilled to see what the sports dept. was offering at the catering tables: frenched, herbed pork chops baked with anjou pears, and a side of breadcrumb topped farfalle "mac" and cheese.

the pork chop and pears was delicious, but i tossed the mac n cheese. i love a good baked mac n cheese, and was interested in trying one made with bowtie pasta, fresh peas, and asparagus.

but all it tasted like was liquid smoke.

what was the chef thinking? he nailed the chops, even using just the right amount of rosemary so as not to overwhelm the delicate sweetness of the pears and pork.

but a creamy, cheesey, fauncy mac n cheese made with farfalle and fresh spring veggies that tasted of nothing but liquid smoke.

you can keep your fakey campfire stuff. if i want smoke, i'll set something on fire and cook on or near it.

hey, what happens if the factory that makes liquid smoke catches on fire?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
big bro, liquid smoke is one of the few things that you and i disagree on.

i really don't like liquid smoke. i'm sure i've had a few dishes where it was added, but it was in such a small amount that it was nearly undetectable against other bigger flavours.

last night i was thrilled to see what the sports dept. was offering at the catering tables: frenched, herbed pork chops baked with anjou pears, and a side of breadcrumb topped farfalle "mac" and cheese.

the pork chop and pears was delicious, but i tossed the mac n cheese. i love a good baked mac n cheese, and was interested in trying one made with bowtie pasta, fresh peas, and asparagus.

but all it tasted like was liquid smoke.

what was the chef thinking? he nailed the chops, even using just the right amount of rosemary so as not to overwhelm the delicate sweetness of the pears and pork.

but a creamy, cheesey, fauncy mac n cheese made with farfalle and fresh spring veggies that tasted of nothing but liquid smoke.

you can keep your fakey campfire stuff. if i want smoke, i'll set something on fire and cook on or near it.

hey, what happens if the factory that makes liquid smoke catches on fire?
I've found that liquid smoke can make or break a recipe. If added to something like chili, or baked beans, it can add wonderful flavor. I don't see it working so well with mac & cheese.

The other thing with liquid smoke is that it is powerful. Just a drop or two too much will give too much smoke flavor, and be bitter as well.

If I'm putting liquid smoke on something like pork chops, I first dilute it, then taste the diluted liquid, rub it into the meat before cooking, then broil, or pan fry the chops. You can't hardly tell the difference in flavor between the chops I make, and the smoked pork chops purchased at the grocers. I also use liquid smoke in a few soups, and pulled pork, if the weather is inclement. Otherwise, I just fire up the Webber.

I definitely wouldn't try to recreate the smokey flavor of pizza made on the grill with liquid smoke.

The heat of the grill adds other flavors to the food, along with the smoke particulates of whatever wood is being used. Liquid smoke is a one-note flavor.

Liquid smoke, especially the mesquite flavor, has a place in my kitchen, albeit a small place.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None