Marinate your bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marajo

Cook
Friends tell me of a restuarant on the Oregon coast of the town Newport where the bacon is fabulous. According to the clerk the bacon is marinated in a homemade marinade that includes cayenne pepper. Any one ever marinate their bacon?

I have heard of brusing bacon slices with mustard, sprinkling them with brown sugar, and then oven frying them. Heard it was really good but haven't tried it yet.

I have heard of brusing bacon slices with mustard, sprinkling them with brown sugar, and then oven frying them. Heard it was really good but haven't tried it yet.

We do something similar at work. Lay out the bacon on a sheet pan, and sprinkle brown sugar and cracked black pepper over the bacon. MMMMMM Good eatin'!

I like the mustard idea. I might have to give that a try. Maybe a specialty sandwich. Hot ham and swiss with a mustard-brown sugar pepper bacon? Or sub out hot turkey? On sourdough? Please don't get me started!

One of my favorite sandwiches is a bacon, pear, and arugla with a bleu cheese schmeer. Got that one from Caprial Pence's first cookbook. My first girlfriend and I use to offer that at our restaurant for lunch. That was way back when but I still make the sammy to this day.

We do something similar at work. Lay out the bacon on a sheet pan, and sprinkle brown sugar and cracked black pepper over the bacon. MMMMMM Good eatin'!

I like the mustard idea. I might have to give that a try. Maybe a specialty sandwich. Hot ham and swiss with a mustard-brown sugar pepper bacon? Or sub out hot turkey? On sourdough? Please don't get me started!

Then what, Allen? You bake it? What oven temp? Do you bake it on a rack or leave it flat on the pan?

Lee

Well, I just tried 3 strips of thick sliced with rind. One with just cracked black pepper. One with mustard and brown sugar, and one with cracked pepper and brown sugar! I am happy to report..they were all good!!!!:pig: I really couldn't pick a favorite!

Miss Lee, I "cooked" mine at 400* on a cast iron griddle until done.

I like the brown sugar/black pepper idea. I'll use it sometime when I'm not making breakfast in a big hurry.

I`ve done Mustard and sweet Cider, that`s always worked well, but it`s Vital to mix the mustard powder with plain water and leave it a good 20 mins before mixing it with anything else.

I have been told by a acquaintance that she routinely marinates her bacon for 30 minutes in either bbq or hot sauce w/ a bit of citrus, either lemon or oranges.

Last edited:
You know I have never thought about that but adding the cayenne pepper to it does sound good.

However I would love to find a way of marinading it in something to give it that maple flavor .

Back
Top Bottom