Marinating Pork Chops In White Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sydfan

Senior Cook
I'm just now learning how to do cool stuff, so some of my questions will seem silly to you more experienced food "artists".......but anyhoooooooo

I just put some chops in a baggie with some dry white wine, olive oil, fresh ground pepper, salt, fresh parsley, fresh garlic and a bit of oregano. After I already did it, I thought to myself, "Self!!!! You're a stinking nimrod!!!!! What if you can't marinate chops in wine? Why didn't you go to the cooking forum and ask, you big fat dummy!!???!!!!:pig: :pig: :pig: "

So please tell me where I went wrong, AND, most importantly, where I went right.

The chops will be marinating overnight in the fridge.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Personally, I don't like using wine in a marinade because it can sometimes impart certain flavors on some foods that don't always taste very good. In that sense you lose a certain amount of control over the final product because it's harder to adjust than say, the sauce that would go with the dish. But again, that's my personal preference.

With that being said, you did not do anything wrong. Texturally, the meat should be fine although the acidity from the wine may cause the surface of the meat to discolor. Nothing wrong with that. The only way to really find out is to cook it up and try it. You may have come up with a great marinade and now there's only one way to find out.

My one recommendation though is to not salt the marinade next time. Just remove the meat and season it before you cook it.

ironchef said:
Personally, I don't like using wine in a marinade because it can sometimes impart certain flavors on some foods that don't always taste very good. In that sense you lose a certain amount of control over the final product because it's harder to adjust than say, the sauce that would go with the dish. But again, that's my personal preference.

With that being said, you did not do anything wrong. Texturally, the meat should be fine although the acidity from the wine may cause the surface of the meat to discolor. Nothing wrong with that. The only way to really find out is to cook it up and try it. You may have come up with a great marinade and now there's only one way to find out.

My one recommendation though is to not salt the marinade next time. Just remove the meat and season it before you cook it.
Very good. Thanks!!!!

:)

I agree with Ironchef that it would not be my personal preference, but you just may taste it and absolutley love it. Experimenting in the kitchen is part of the fun of cooking so don't be scared to try stuff like this without checking first. Heck even if everyone here said don't do it, you still could try it and like it.

Let us know how it turns out :)

GB said:
I agree with Ironchef that it would not be my personal preference, but you just may taste it and absolutley love it. Experimenting in the kitchen is part of the fun of cooking so don't be scared to try stuff like this without checking first. Heck even if everyone here said don't do it, you still could try it and like it.

Let us know how it turns out :)
I will. I'm cooking them tonight. It seems like marinating in wine might not be the thing to do. Here's hoping!!!!

*crosses fingers*

By the way, I only used about 1/4 of a cup of wine. It's not like they're submerged in it. But........we'll see.

You need some kind of acidic ingredient in a marinade. It can be wine, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

I also agree you should have skipped the salt.

Let us know how it came out.

Personally, I think it sounds fine.

And I definitely put salt in my marinade -- either salt or soy sauce. IMO that's important. Teriyaki marinade is one of pork's best friends, after all.

Probably the only thing that I would have done differently is perhaps to use rosemary instead or oregano, as it is a happier pairing to my palate and more traditional for pork. A marinade with orange juice, cumin, garlic and oregano (a sort of mojo) is nice with pork.

OK for that little amount of wine I think that will work. I pictured it swimming in a ten foot deep pool of it lol :)

OK, so here's the lowdown in chop town! I baked the chops at 350 for about 35 minutes until they were just turning brown. Then I layered a horseradish crust on top of them. (Horseradish, creamed butter, pepper, garlic and panko) and put it in the broiler until golden brown. My kid and I thought they were the best chops we've ever had. The wife thought they were a little too spicy, but they weren't "spicy". I could reslly taste the wine and I loved it. I was VERY happy with this dish!

:chef:

Excellent!!! Another kitchen success! Great job sydfan. I am so glad they turned out as good as they did. It sounds like a great meal.

Back
Top Bottom