Meat and fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Does anyone do any good meat dishes with fruit instead of spices or sauces?

Thinking spiral cut ham with apple or pineapple inserted in cuts etc.
I’ve done apple cinnamon pork roasts but wondering on other thoughts any meat is open to this topic to not just pork but it’s where I’ve done it the most.

Thanks

Fruit sauces and glazes are often used with pork, chicken, turkey and duck. For example, I made a cherry-balsamic sauce for Thanksgiving instead of cranberry sauce. In central European cuisine, apples are often braised with pork shoulder or made into a sauce for pork chops. Duck is very rich, so a tangy fruity sauce is good with it - oranges, cherries and blackberries are popular choices.

I'm not sure beef takes well to fruit. Except for tomatoes and peppers, which are botanically fruit.

bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. Cut regular bacon strips in half or thick cut bacon strips into thirds, wrap each piece around a pineapple chunk, hold it in place with a toothpick, roll in brown sugar, and bake on a rack on a cookie sheet in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes.

If you grill in summer, I sometimes grill peach halves or nectarines and serve with whatever else is grilling for dinner. Bonus. You can also serve grilled fruit with ice cream for dessert.

That reminds me, sliced pineapple is great on the grill, too, or under the broiler. Sprinkle with Mexican Tajin seasoning to finish. Or with salt, chili powder and lime juice (basically the same ingredients).

I occasionally make a pork rib end roast with apple butter gravy.

Actually, it's made in the slow cooker with apples, onions, carrots, garlic, white wine, and thyme.

The apples disintegrate after a long cook, so they end up being part of the gravy that is finished with a good chunk of butter. The rest of the veggies are served with the roast.

I have a recipe somewhere if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you grill in summer, I sometimes grill peach halves or nectarines and serve with whatever else is grilling for dinner. Bonus. You can also serve grilled fruit with ice cream for dessert.

Here's a recipe for chicken with roasted grapes which I am reminded of today that I copied some time ago and would like to try.

Smitten Kitchen's Harvest Roast Chicken with Grapes, Olives, and Rosemary Recipe | Serious Eats

I really like the looks of that recipe also Whiska. I'll be following the adapted directions from one of the reviews..
Here's a simpler method--and it was delicious. Put the raw chicken, grapes, olives, shallots, and rosemary in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast at 450F for 10 to 15 minutes, to brown the chicken; then reduce the temperature to 425F, add the wine (I used vermouth) and chicken broth, and roast for 20 to 35 more minutes, or until done. I think the grapes and olives need the liquid during the roasting--and they and the rosemary add great flavor to the sauce as the chicken roasts. This method skips having to brown the chicken before roasting and then make a pan sauce at the end--and I thought it gave a better result.

In our family, our two most favorite fruit/meat combinations are a cold chicken grape mayo/pepper/sugar/celery salad (to eat by itself or on whole wheat bread) and Crispy Orange Beef served with rice and broccoli.

Of this recipe: https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/crispy-orange-beef-chinese-takeout-at-home/
I'd instead use chili peppers instead of jalapeno, and then go heavier on the orange juice by adding orange juice concentrate undiluted, and more orange zest. The dish is crispy and the glaze is pretty thick strongly flavored and sweet.

Back
Top Bottom