"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Larry.
Ol-Blue has given us many good recipes.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #62
Master Chef

I know this recipe is full of salt, but it's so good and easy I've been doing a combo of onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup for years with one more addition. I fill the empty soup can half way with dry Sherry and add it to the mix. The flavor of the Sherry sends the flavor right through the roof. This mix is also great in a crock pot with chunks of beef and mushrooms, thicken when it's done with some instant potato buds, and then serve over noodles. Yummm!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

That beef and mushrooms sounds delicious, Kay. I can imagine walking back into the house after it's been slow cooking for a few hours.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That beef and mushrooms sounds delicious, Kay. I can imagine walking back into the house after it's been slow cooking for a few hours.
You brought back a nice memory Pac. Many moons ago we were camping and water skiing at a mountian lake in a campground that had electrical hookups at the camp table. I mixed up this dinner in the crock pot on the table and we took our boat down to the lake for a full day of water skiing.
When we returned at sunset the table had a family of chipmunks on their tip toes smelling our dinner. I wish I had a camera handy, but it's been a lovely mind picture of mine all these years later.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #65
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I know this recipe is full of salt, but it's so good and easy I've been doing a combo of onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup for years with one more addition. I fill the empty soup can half way with dry Sherry and add it to the mix. The flavor of the Sherry sends the flavor right through the roof. This mix is also great in a crock pot with chunks of beef and mushrooms, thicken when it's done with some instant potato buds, and then serve over noodles. Yummm!
I'll make it salt and all! I've got low blood pressure anyway

What are instant potato buds?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You brought back a nice memory Pac. Many moons ago we were camping and water skiing at a mountian lake in a campground that had electrical hookups at the camp table. I mixed up this dinner in the crock pot on the table and we took our boat down to the lake for a full day of water skiing.
When we returned at sunset the table had a family of chipmunks on their tip toes smelling our dinner. I wish I had a camera handy, but it's been a lovely mind picture of mine all these years later.
Did you share? They must of have been awfully cute. I wouldn't have been able to resist sharing a bit with the little cuties.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #67
Master Chef

We did share our dinner with them Taxi!! They were so cute we couldn't resist and they sure were licking their lips.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I'll make it salt and all! I've got low blood pressure anyway

What are instant potato buds?
Snip, instant potatoes come in buds and flakes here...either will be just fine for thickening. I often use them instead of a flour water slurry as the liquid doesn't need to come to a boil to thicken since you can't boil in a crock pot.
It works well, and is a bit of added nutrition with potato.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #69
Executive Chef

I made Ol-Blueís pork roast last week. I forgot to add a review.

I had a 3.5 lb pork loin bought on sale awhile ago. Not much fat on top. Why do they trim so much when todayís pork is already so lean. Rhetorical question.

I followed the recipe. Well, almost. Which is really hard for me to do. I studded the roast with quite a bit of garlic, seasoned the flour heavily with dry rosemary, thyme and savory. ( about a tsp each), and seared in a CI dutch oven. Used a tea strainer and mixed the onion soup powder in with 2 cups chicken broth and the mushroom soup. Shook the dry onion onto the top of the roast. I didnít add any salt.

My Left eye was already twitching because I would never think to pot roast or braise this cut of meat. Since that eye was occupied, My Right eye tried to match its neighbor when I saw the Oven temp is 375F (190 C). When I poured the liquid in the pan, it came pretty high up the roast, nearly to the edge of the little fat cap. Got religious and put the cover on and Left It Alone for the designated time. Before pulling it from the oven, I checked the temp, it was 152. I know todayís pork can be cooked to 145. I like the old fashion temp recís at 160 and no pink in my pork. I figured this was close enough and I was hungry.

Moved the roast to a platter to rest while I mashed some potatoes. It didnít look like all that much gravy so I made a small slurry with some of the seasoned flour and the approx 1 Ĺ cups of leftover chix broth. Ta-da. This made enough gravy to use with all leftover meals. I like sauce on Ďtaters and the meat and one day I made an egg noodle casserole too. Not sure how long a roast should last. I made rice to make fried rice, but there wasnít any roast left to use. It made good cold sandwiches.

I think I put too much savory in the seasoning and I could taste the onion soup flavor. Which I thought was unusual, maybe because I havenít used onion soup mix much lately.

Would I make this again. Yes. It was easy. Itís very similar to a baked pork chop dish I sometimes make. The finished roast was very tender and moist. For me, the flour didnít seem to thicken the sauce very much. Maybe I didnít dredge it enough. As suggested, next time I would add some wine to the sauce if Itís on hand. The oven temp seems to work despite my initial doubts. Next time I will add a sliced onion on the bottom of the pan ( which is usually what I do when I make any roast.) It forms a natural little trivet and the onion gets really soft, almost melts or is easily mashed and adds flavor to the pan sauce. I think it was thoughtful that Ol-Blue shared her recipe because it is a keeper.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #70
Senior Cook

I made the best pork loin I have ever made last night. Brined it for 6 hours, seered it in the cast iron skillet and then cooked it crock pot for 6 hours. I had some of the sauce from this recipe (see below) in the freezer and cooked it in it. I got rave reviews

Brown Derby

2 pounds ground beef
1 beaten egg
2 teaspoons of dry mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup water

Mix thoroughly. shape into 2" balls
Beat 2 additional eggs
Make 2 to 3 cups of finely crushed cracker crumbs
Dip meat balls into egg mix and roll in cracker crumbs.
Brown in hot oil and place meat balls in a shallow baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes (45 to 50 if frozen)

Diablo sauce for Brown Derby

1 can chicken broth
1/2 can beef broth
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons of Mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 or 2 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons of sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons of cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon of cold water)
1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms (optional)

Tags
None