Melt In Your Mouth Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this recipe is full of salt, but it's so good and easy I've been doing a combo of onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup for years with one more addition. I fill the empty soup can half way with dry Sherry and add it to the mix. The flavor of the Sherry sends the flavor right through the roof. This mix is also great in a crock pot with chunks of beef and mushrooms, thicken when it's done with some instant potato buds, and then serve over noodles. Yummm!

Last edited:
That beef and mushrooms sounds delicious, Kay. I can imagine walking back into the house after it's been slow cooking for a few hours.

That beef and mushrooms sounds delicious, Kay. I can imagine walking back into the house after it's been slow cooking for a few hours.

You brought back a nice memory Pac. Many moons ago we were camping and water skiing at a mountian lake in a campground that had electrical hookups at the camp table. I mixed up this dinner in the crock pot on the table and we took our boat down to the lake for a full day of water skiing.
When we returned at sunset the table had a family of chipmunks on their tip toes smelling our dinner. I wish I had a camera handy, but it's been a lovely mind picture of mine all these years later.

I know this recipe is full of salt, but it's so good and easy I've been doing a combo of onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup for years with one more addition. I fill the empty soup can half way with dry Sherry and add it to the mix. The flavor of the Sherry sends the flavor right through the roof. This mix is also great in a crock pot with chunks of beef and mushrooms, thicken when it's done with some instant potato buds, and then serve over noodles. Yummm!

I'll make it salt and all! I've got low blood pressure anyway ;)

What are instant potato buds?

You brought back a nice memory Pac. Many moons ago we were camping and water skiing at a mountian lake in a campground that had electrical hookups at the camp table. I mixed up this dinner in the crock pot on the table and we took our boat down to the lake for a full day of water skiing.
When we returned at sunset the table had a family of chipmunks on their tip toes smelling our dinner. I wish I had a camera handy, but it's been a lovely mind picture of mine all these years later.
Did you share? They must of have been awfully cute. I wouldn't have been able to resist sharing a bit with the little cuties.

I'll make it salt and all! I've got low blood pressure anyway ;)

What are instant potato buds?

Snip, instant potatoes come in buds and flakes here...either will be just fine for thickening. I often use them instead of a flour water slurry as the liquid doesn't need to come to a boil to thicken since you can't boil in a crock pot.
It works well, and is a bit of added nutrition with potato.

I made Ol-Blue’s pork roast last week. I forgot to add a review.

I had a 3.5 lb pork loin bought on sale awhile ago. Not much fat on top. Why do they trim so much when today’s pork is already so lean. Rhetorical question.

I followed the recipe. Well, almost. Which is really hard for me to do. I studded the roast with quite a bit of garlic, seasoned the flour heavily with dry rosemary, thyme and savory. ( about a tsp each), and seared in a CI dutch oven. Used a tea strainer and mixed the onion soup powder in with 2 cups chicken broth and the mushroom soup. Shook the dry onion onto the top of the roast. I didn’t add any salt.

My Left eye was already twitching because I would never think to pot roast or braise this cut of meat. Since that eye was occupied, My Right eye tried to match its neighbor when I saw the Oven temp is 375F (190 C). When I poured the liquid in the pan, it came pretty high up the roast, nearly to the edge of the little fat cap. Got religious and put the cover on and Left It Alone for the designated time. Before pulling it from the oven, I checked the temp, it was 152. I know today’s pork can be cooked to 145. I like the old fashion temp rec’s at 160 and no pink in my pork. I figured this was close enough and I was hungry.

Moved the roast to a platter to rest while I mashed some potatoes. It didn’t look like all that much gravy so I made a small slurry with some of the seasoned flour and the approx 1 ½ cups of leftover chix broth. Ta-da. This made enough gravy to use with all leftover meals. I like sauce on ‘taters and the meat and one day I made an egg noodle casserole too. Not sure how long a roast should last. I made rice to make fried rice, but there wasn’t any roast left to use. It made good cold sandwiches.

I think I put too much savory in the seasoning and I could taste the onion soup flavor. Which I thought was unusual, maybe because I haven’t used onion soup mix much lately.

Would I make this again. Yes. It was easy. It’s very similar to a baked pork chop dish I sometimes make. The finished roast was very tender and moist. For me, the flour didn’t seem to thicken the sauce very much. Maybe I didn’t dredge it enough. As suggested, next time I would add some wine to the sauce if It’s on hand. The oven temp seems to work despite my initial doubts. Next time I will add a sliced onion on the bottom of the pan ( which is usually what I do when I make any roast.) It forms a natural little trivet and the onion gets really soft, almost melts or is easily mashed and adds flavor to the pan sauce. I think it was thoughtful that Ol-Blue shared her recipe because it is a keeper.

I made the best pork loin I have ever made last night. Brined it for 6 hours, seered it in the cast iron skillet and then cooked it crock pot for 6 hours. I had some of the sauce from this recipe (see below) in the freezer and cooked it in it. I got rave reviews

Brown Derby

2 pounds ground beef
1 beaten egg
2 teaspoons of dry mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup water

Mix thoroughly. shape into 2" balls
Beat 2 additional eggs
Make 2 to 3 cups of finely crushed cracker crumbs
Dip meat balls into egg mix and roll in cracker crumbs.
Brown in hot oil and place meat balls in a shallow baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes (45 to 50 if frozen)

Diablo sauce for Brown Derby

1 can chicken broth
1/2 can beef broth
1/4 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons of Mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 or 2 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons of sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons of cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon of cold water)
1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms (optional)

Img_1617.jpg

I made Ol-Blue’s pork roast last week. I forgot to add a review...

...Would I make this again. Yes. It was easy...

It's a keeper alright. I've only ever made it like the recipe and it comes out perfect everytime with the gravy just the right consistency. I use a CI DO. And I also like my pork white :chef:

For me though, I'm going to leave the garlic slivers out. I like garlic flavor, just not concentrated like it is when you stud meat with it.

Hey, Mac, that sounds really good. You might want to put it in its own thread, though. People will be much more likely to find it that way.

This is similar to a recipe I have used for years called "no-peek casserole." It started out using stew meat (with veg.) , then progressed to pot roast and pork roasts. I don't use as much liquid and actually substitute red wine for water. It works either in a dutch oven or a crockpot. It hasn't failed me yet!

BTW. Its called "no-peek" because you're supposed to cook low and slow and not lift the lid.

Last edited:
This is similar to a recipe I have used for years called "no-peek casserole." It started out using stew meat (with veg.) , then progressed to pot roast and pork roasts. I don't use as much liquid and actually substitute red wine for water. It works either in a dutch oven or a crockpot. It hasn't failed me yet!

BTW. Its called "no-peek" because you're supposed to cook low and slow and not lift the lid.

Like this?
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/dutch-oven-beef-with-gravy-recipe-82760.html

Sounds like it could be good however u could always make up a veggie chutney and place it in a baking dish and smother the choked in the chutney. Also for some extra pazaz u could use boneless chicken breaststroke and slice a pocket in them and stuff them with fresh herbs and cheese with a bit of hickory bbq sauce for flare... And convection bake it for about 45 mind covered with tin foil. Oh and use the creme of celery with a bit of creme or milk added u will love it. Msg me if u wanna know more. It sounds tough but of u like to prep like I do u will love the finished creation. Serves well with white wine to.

Sent from my C5306 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom