Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Shredded Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Shredded Pulled Pork

4 lb. pork shoulder (pork butt), without bone
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or 1 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon)*See note below

Seasoning:

All seasoning can be adjusted to personal taste

1 TBSP dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2½ tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp All Purpose seasoning
2 TBSP olive oil

Instructions:

1. Cut the pork shoulder into 1-2 inch cubes.
  2. Place pork cubes in a bowl or ziplock bag.
  3. Combine the seasoning ingredients then add to pork and mix to thoroughly season the meat.
  4. Add the chicken broth to the Instant Pot inner pot. Set to sauté adjust to more and bring to boil.
  5. When broth is boiling add the pork to the pot.
  6. Lock lid and set to sealing.
  7. Use the Meat/Stew button and adjust to more (45 minutes).
  8. When done allow 10 minutes NPR then QR.
  9. Remove lid when the pin drops.
  10. The meat should be tender and falling apart. Remove from the pot with slotted spoon and let cool slightly. Then shred the pork using two forks.
    Skim off the fat from the juices and discard the fat. Set to sauté setting and adjust to more (you will see 30 use "-" to lower to 25) allow to boil down to a thick constancy. The liquid will be SALTY, it is the seasoning for the pork. When thick add to shredded pork and mix well.
A squeeze of fresh lime gives a nice pop.

Note: *May use Pork bone broth if available.

Sorry picture isn't better.

img_1496773_0_431e89ca2a63b737471f15721cdab387.jpg

Last edited:
27696-albums1090-picture7033.gif

Instant Pot Carnitas (from uncooked pork butt to tacos in 1 hour).

carntas_081417_IMG_2708.JPG

carntas_taco_081417_IMG_2702.jpg

On the same theme, pressure cooking as the initial plrk cooking method, i habe many times mafe pulled pork by slicing pork butt into chunks, booking for 30 minutes in the pressure copker, then pulling the pork and puting it into my largest CI pan, and finally into a smoke filled Webber Kettle
The greater exposed mear in the pan allows the meat to absorb that grear smokey flavor in 30 minutrs. It tastes like it has been slow smoked for ten hours.

I just watched Bobby Flay use the same technique for making pulled pork in one pf his challenges

I have posyrd my method befte and was rpld by a few on DC that it was not pullrd pork because it was not smoked for hours. I say tht if the trcture and flavor are correct, the cooking method is irelavent.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

IMHO, you can make this a whole lot better by adding the following:

3A. Sear the pork with a little olive oil in a hot SS skillet.
3B. Deglaze the pan with a half cup wine (or use a half cup chicken broth if you are opposed to alcohol).

On the same theme, pressure cooking as the initial plrk cooking method, i habe many times mafe pulled pork by slicing pork butt into chunks, booking for 30 minutes in the pressure copker, then pulling the pork and puting it into my largest CI pan, and finally into a smoke filled Webber Kettle
The greater exposed mear in the pan allows the meat to absorb that grear smokey flavor in 30 minutrs. It tastes like it has been slow smoked for ten hours.

I just watched Bobby Flay use the same technique for making pulled pork in one pf his challenges

I have posyrd my method befte and was rpld by a few on DC that it was not pullrd pork because it was not smoked for hours. I say tht if the trcture and flavor are correct, the cooking method is irelavent.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Whether I use the Instant Pot or not, think I'm going to take a run at finishing par-cooked cubed pork shoulder in a stove-top smoker.

Thanks, msmofet; thanks, Chief; and thanks, Katie H for suggesting the Cameron smoker.

Back
Top Bottom