Ms. Mofet's Pork Chops and Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Ms. Mofet's Pork Chops and Sauerkraut

Pork chops - allow 1 or 2 chops per person or to appetite (bone in taste better)

ALL SEASONING AND SEEDS TO TASTE:

Poultry seasoning
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Adobo seasoning (spice mix - not the Chile paste)
Accent (or MSG) - optional
Ground Sea Salt
Ground black pepper
Cayenne
Olive oil
Sauerkraut - (16 oz. bag) - drained - save liquid/juice to deglaze pan
Potatoes (1 or 2 per person depending on size of tater and appetite) - peeled and cut into medium thick slices
Onion (1 large) - sliced into thin half moons
2 pkgs. Pork gravy mix
Fennel seeds
Caraway seeds
Splash of dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)

Heat small amount of olive oil in heavy bottom pan (DO NOT use a non-stick pan).
Season chops on both sides with the spices to taste and brown well on both sides.
Remove chops from pan.
Deglaze pan with a splash of White wine and liquid/juice from the sauerkraut.
Stir well to loosened and dissolve the fond on the pan.
Add potatoes and onions.
Stir the potatoes and onions well so they are coated with the loosened fond from pan.
Sprinkle the gravy mix packets over potatoes and onions. Add the water and stir well.
Bring to boil then lower to simmer and thicken gravy slightly.
Add the drained sauerkraut, fennel seeds and caraway seeds and stir to combine.
Add chops to pan reduce heat to simmer and cover.
After first 15 minutes stir potatoes, turn chops then bury the chops under potatoes.
Stir potatoes and turn chops
several times during simmering.
Simmer till potatoes and chops are tender (about 30 - 45 minutes).
Add water to pan if gravy gets to thick.

Pictures step by step:

Season and brown chops on both sides in a heavy pot pan (DO NOT use a non-stick pan).

img_1069238_0_1c2160c82e27e88c76978849c0c8afbb.jpg

img_1069238_1_ce02c7492713bb345aec1fb3e5c586f4.jpg

When browned on both sides remove chops from pan.

Deglaze pan with a splash of White wine and the liquid/juice from the sauerkraut. Stri well to loosened and desolve the fond/brown bits on the pan.

img_1069238_2_31e074d0b635bce1802f1629bbf2bf53.jpg

Add potatoes and onions. Stir the potatoes and onions well so they are coated with the loosened fond from pan.
Sprinkle the gravy mix packets over potatoes and onions. Add the water and stir well. Bring to boil then lower to simmer and thicken gravy slightly.

img_1069238_3_4403d486ce6c23800f5de862b4a76cbf.jpg

Add sauerkraut, caraway seeds, fenell seeds to the pan and stir well.

img_1069238_4_6bca3275524b918858f2ce19cbd0769f.jpg

Add chops to pan and cover. Reduce heat and simmer.
After first 15 minutes stir potatoes, turn chops then bury the chops under potatoes. Stir potatoes and turn chops several times during simmering. Simmer till potatoes and chops are tender (about 30 - 45 minutes).

img_1069238_5_fe2a9e5fb89985e54224fe2788d1ec72.jpg

Dinner is served

img_1069238_6_b41fedde51b918d5c7f1a558bf46a022.jpg

img_1069238_7_178c2bb0a39e78958b25e54e037bf652.jpg

Good heavens Woman you just made me drool all over a NEW sweater...Thanks for sharing looks and sounds wonderful.
kades

MsMoffet, I've never eaten Pork Chops and Sauerkraut, so this recipe will be a first for me! You've explained it perfectly and your results are nothing short of fantastic looking! I'm sure they taste as wonderful as they look!

I'm going to pick up some chops and kraut tomorrow and make this! Thank you for such inspiration!

oh baby, now we're talking!

we love kraut, pork, and the rest, especially fennel seeds. what a great combo.

i will definitely be making this soon. thanks, mofet.

nice pan, btw. that thing looks huge! is it heavy for you?

Thank you everyone.

I hope you like it Timothy and Bucky, let me know what you think of it. I like the combo of fennel and caraway seeds. This was inspired by my dads adoptive parents. They were Danish and cousins of Victor Borge.

Bucky this is the pan. I got it at Chef Central in Paramus (which is the same price as the FoodNetwork's offering). I LOVE it.

MultiClad Pro Stainless Saute Pan (5.5-qt.) by Cuisinart (click)

Attachments

• cuisinart_saute_pan.jpg
    cuisinart_saute_pan.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 248
I've got a 5.5 qt Cuisinart Chefs Classic saute pan. Now I know how you fit all those chops in there. That thing is huge.
Great tutorial.

I've got a 5.5 qt Cuisinart Chefs Classic saute pan. Now I know how you fit all those chops in there. That thing is huge.
Great tutorial.
Thank you Pac. I have several Cuisinart pots and pans and love them all. I cook for 4 and like to cook everything in 1 batch.

Last edited:
I like that the lid fits on their skillets as well. I imagine all makes are like that.

I like that the lid fits on their skillets as well. I imagine all makes are like that.
Actually I only have 1 pan (the 5.5 qt) but I have about 3 pots and yes all the lids fit nicely. PLUS I like that I can start on the stove, cover and finish in the oven if I want. I make my stuffing in my Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 5½ Quart Multi Pot then put it in the oven.

Last edited:
Thank you. Let me know what you think. Enjoy

Hey msmofet, I have this simmering on the stove right now! I decided to leave out the sauerkraut, but everything else is pretty much the same.

I have four HUGE browned chops buried in the taters,onions and mushrooms and it's simmering nicely. The whole house is smelling GREAT!

I used the portabella mushrooms. I love them because they have such a rich taste that blends so well with meats.

I figure since I'm finishing in a stove top simmer, I'll give it about 45 minutes at a simmer to match what the 350F oven would have done.

Back
Top Bottom