My simple pork chop method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott-180

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

This is the first recipe I have ever posted and it is a very, very simple one but I have to start somewhere!

I went to the butchers and asked for the biggest, beast of a pork chop that they had. I'm sure it's small by American standards but this is what they gave me.
e467e06c-d8db-4db1-bc9d-a7f39ae389ad.jpg

I followed some instructions given to me by my friend, starting off by patting it dry before adding lots of salt, pepper and some finely chopped rosemary.

I then sealed the chop, in a hot skillet with a little butter, on each side until caramelised and brown, making sure to turn it on its edge so as to cook the fat. then I popped it in the oven at 200ºC (391ºF) for 10 minutes.

For a beginner like me, I was pretty happy with the results! :chef:

0a0526e4-a913-44c3-ad21-0345c4a6325d.jpg

Scott that's a real beauty!! Congrats!! I love a good pork chop like that and cook them often.

I like to brine my chops first and and you might want to try that next time. It's very simple to do by dissolving 3 Tbs. of Kosher salt in 2 cups of water, you can add other flavorings like Rosemary if you want. Soak the chop for about an hour or so, then rinse and proceed with the cooking.

Last edited:
Cutting the fat like that keeps the meat flat so it frys better. Otherwise it curls up into sort of a cup shape when the fat shrinks. I do that on the edge of chops and sometimes a steak that has fat around the outside.

I would love a piece of that pork rind. Very nice chop.

That's just fat, not skin or "rind".

English folks (in general, from what I've seen) are lucky that their butchers haven't gotten crazy with removing almost all fat from everything.

Pork fat is a beautiful thing.

+2 on cutting nicks in the fat to prevent it from curling. Every now and then I get a rib eye with a heavy layer of fat on one side and need to slice into the fat so it will lie flat on the grill.

I must say I’m really not a fan of gargantuan thick pork chops, but your dramatic presentation certainly set my mouth to watering, Scott! For me, it’d need a pan sauce or a purée, or perhaps the sauce just doesn’t show up well in the pic.

Good job!

I have honestly never seen a pork chop cut like that -- the fat cap cut like that. I'm not sure what to think. It is just so different than anything I have seen before. It looks weird, but good. Looks properly cooked.

How did it taste? That's all that matters.

CD

Scott that's a real beauty!! Congrats!! I love a good pork chop like that and cook them often.

I like to brine my chops first and and you might want to try that next time. It's very simple to do by dissolving 3 Tbs. of Kosher salt in 2 cups of water, you can add other flavorings like Rosemary if you want. Soak the chop for about an hour or so, then rinse and proceed with the cooking.

Thanks Kayelle,

I have heard of the brine method but never tried it. I will definitely try it next time. :chef:

Your chop looks delicious. I've never seen the fat on a pork chop cut like that before - nice. Did the butcher do that, or did you?

Thanks Got,

yes the butcher did it with a huge cleaver. he said it stops the chop from curling up when it's in the skillet

I have honestly never seen a pork chop cut like that -- the fat cap cut like that. I'm not sure what to think. It is just so different than anything I have seen before. It looks weird, but good. Looks properly cooked.

How did it taste? That's all that matters.

CD

I think it must be a British thing as butchers of do it like that.

It tasted amazing Casey. I was careful not to over cook it as my friend was telling me that pork can go very dry, very quickly so i pulled it out of the oven when it was still a little pink, and let it rest for a few minutes until the pink had gone.

Back
Top Bottom