"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Master Chef

Need Pork Tenderloin Advice

Lastnight I laid out a pork tenderloin to thaw. It is sealed in a vaccum bag with no air. When I cooked dinner last night, I forgot that I had laid it out and cooked shrimp instead. Anywho... the tenderloin got to room temp and I placed it back in the frig. Question is do you think it will be ok??? I hate to waste it, so I am debating weather or not to cook it.

Thoughts?

Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

When you open the sealed bag, check the meat. Does it smell fresh? Is it a good color? Is it slimy?

I would definitely cook this meat past the medium-rare stage because even if it appears to be in great shape, room temperature is a good temerature for microbial growth. The heat will kill the nasty critters.

On second thought, botulism is caused by a very nasty little micro-critter that likes an anerobic lifestyle, that is, it grows best where there is no air. Now the microbe itself is harmless. But the toxin it releases into its environement is one of the most potent toxins, bar none. And that toxin isn't destroyed at cooking temps. Botulism is the main reason for adding sodium nitrite to cured meats. Before it was used, the meat curing in those airtight little skins had the habit of producing illness, even death due to botulism poisoning.

Not to be an alarmist, but I think I would toss it. Better safe than sorry.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks

I think I will take your advice... as stated better safe than sorry! I have spent a few days in the hospital several years back with a possible ecoli / staph infection... don't want to go through that again!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

how long was it actually thawed?

I think I must be a lucky duck, Goodweed - I've had instances like that (where the meat was on the counter for at least an hour and a half, and I end up throwing it in the crockpot for 8-10 hours!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

Hard to Say

I tossed it.... hard to do, but I tossed. I laid it out around noon, since it was not a full tenderloin (I only cook for 2 and usually divide meats to facilitate that need,) maybe 3/4 lb at the most, it was probably thawed around 4pm and did not discover my mistake till around 7 or 8pm. Such a nice cut of meat.... HATED, HATED to toss it.

I think what I should have done is gone ahead and cooked it up as opposed to tossing it in the fridge for the next night. It was not so bad.... we ended up having bacon wrapped filets instead..... YUM!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Master Chef

"When in doubt, throw it out!"
Old 02-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Sorry you tossed it. Smell would tell you if it was okay--after you rinsed it. And botulism is not a candidate for meat.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Cook

When you thaw meat it is never safe to thaw it at room temp. anyway, thaw it in a sink with cold water that is changed every 30 minutes
Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

changing sinks full of water that often must be very tiring...

i always go with my nose on meats. i carefully peel back any wrapper or plastic, and take a good whiff. if the meat smells at all; if i detect the tiniest bit of something bad, it gets chucked.
be careful doing it this way tho. when you get a stinker, it can almost make you pass out.

certain meats, like pork and of course fish, have a smell. but it's not the same as when it goes bad. that aroma is easily identifiable.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

in the future: vacum packed sealed meat will withstand such an "unsupervised" thaw, and if refridgerated and cooked the next day, or later the same day, will be fine. If in any doubt, make sure it reaches 160* inside. Meat not vacumm packed should be cooked right away if thawed like that. The meat is "sterile" inside, only the exposed parts pick up bacteria etc. Once you cut it up or grind it...cook it.
But the tenderloin you described would have been fine. A quick roll in herbs, salt , and pepper, into the oven. SLice it for sandwiches or use in a stew or stir fry.

Tags
None