"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Need Recipes For Leftover Pork

I got a little carried away at the grocery store, and have amassed a quantity of cooked, fork tender pork in my freezer.

I can't handle pulled pork barbeque (diabetic) and I'm tired of pork stew and pork in gravy.

I need some ideas to use up this pork. Help!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I got a little carried away at the grocery store, and have amassed a quantity of cooked, fork tender pork in my freezer.

I can't handle pulled pork barbeque (diabetic) and I'm tired of pork stew and pork in gravy.

How about using some for tacos or a pot of chili!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

can you handle black beans, red onions, bell peppers (green and a color) with either rice or pasta and a balsamic based dressing? It's a kind of Southwestern salad (non-lettuce) meal. I'll find the recipe if yes.

You could also do something Cuban sandwich style, either totally without the bread or thin sliced. Ingredients consist of leftover pork roast (sliced or shredded), deli ham slices, swiss cheese, dill pickles, mayo/mustard to taste. It's a pressed sandwich in the traditional preparation.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

Anything I will suggest will probably be not good either for a diabetic. Pierogi, Blintzes, or stuffed potato patties.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tacos is a great idea, Aunt Bea. I'm thinking tamale pie too.

medtran, I'd love to try that recipe, please.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What about a dip, mix the shredded pork with cream cheese, Rotel or salsa, or even Velveeta? A crock pot would work, or just nuke it.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Why can't you have pork barbecue? Is it because it's often served on a bun? It doesn't have to be.

You could make a version of the Mexican pork and hominy stew, posole. Sauté onions, garlic and chopped tomatillos, add a jar of salsa verde, some Mexican oregano, chicken stock, hominy, and pork and heat till warmed through.

Mix some pork with any kind of salsa and you can use it as a filling for all kinds of Mexican food - tacos, enchiladas, nachos.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
can you handle black beans, red onions, bell peppers (green and a color) with either rice or pasta and a balsamic based dressing? It's a kind of Southwestern salad (non-lettuce) meal. I'll find the recipe if yes.

You could also do something Cuban sandwich style, either totally without the bread or thin sliced. Ingredients consist of leftover pork roast (sliced or shredded), deli ham slices, swiss cheese, dill pickles, mayo/mustard to taste. It's a pressed sandwich in the traditional preparation.
Cuban sandwich is excellent, but seasoning is also important. Where I had them most often in the Bahamas, the pork was roasted with Cuban seasonings, then sliced thin for the sandwich (Cuban pork roast recipe), but the seasoning could probably be done in a saute pan after the fact too.

Pork burrito or enchilada might be possibilities.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Cuban sandwich is excellent, but seasoning is also important. Where I had them most often in the Bahamas, the pork was roasted with Cuban seasonings, then sliced thin for the sandwich (Cuban pork roast recipe), but the seasoning could probably be done in a saute pan after the fact too.

Well, we usually make them with leftover Cuban pork roast, but have made with other leftover pork roast and by the time you add all the other stuff, there's not much of a taste difference, as long as it's just plain roasted pork.

Our Cuban pork roast recipe is a bit different. Paste made out of garlic, oregano, S&P, ground cumin and olive oil, rubbed on roast. Bagged with sliced onion and sour orange juice (which can be subbed with a mix of navels and lime juice if you can't get sour oranges) marinated for at least 4 hours, though longer up to 8 is better, then roasted. Supposed to be an authentic Cuban family recipe, though like all recipes every family probably has their own way.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I usually use leftover pork in stir fries, to top a tossed salad, in rice wrappers...

Tags
other, pork, recipe

Need Recipes For Leftover Pork I got a little carried away at the grocery store, and have amassed a quantity of cooked, fork tender pork in my freezer. I can't handle pulled pork barbeque (diabetic) and I'm tired of pork stew and pork in gravy. I need some ideas to use up this pork. Help! 3 stars 1 reviews