Need Recipes For Leftover Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I got a little carried away at the grocery store, and have amassed a quantity of cooked, fork tender pork in my freezer.

I can't handle pulled pork barbeque (diabetic) and I'm tired of pork stew and pork in gravy.

I need some ideas to use up this pork. Help!

I got a little carried away at the grocery store, and have amassed a quantity of cooked, fork tender pork in my freezer.

I can't handle pulled pork barbeque (diabetic) and I'm tired of pork stew and pork in gravy.

How about using some for tacos or a pot of chili! :pig:

can you handle black beans, red onions, bell peppers (green and a color) with either rice or pasta and a balsamic based dressing? It's a kind of Southwestern salad (non-lettuce) meal. I'll find the recipe if yes.

You could also do something Cuban sandwich style, either totally without the bread or thin sliced. Ingredients consist of leftover pork roast (sliced or shredded), deli ham slices, swiss cheese, dill pickles, mayo/mustard to taste. It's a pressed sandwich in the traditional preparation.

Last edited:
Anything I will suggest will probably be not good either for a diabetic. Pierogi, Blintzes, or stuffed potato patties.

Tacos is a great idea, Aunt Bea. I'm thinking tamale pie too.

medtran, I'd love to try that recipe, please.

What about a dip, mix the shredded pork with cream cheese, Rotel or salsa, or even Velveeta? A crock pot would work, or just nuke it.

Why can't you have pork barbecue? Is it because it's often served on a bun? It doesn't have to be.

You could make a version of the Mexican pork and hominy stew, posole. Sauté onions, garlic and chopped tomatillos, add a jar of salsa verde, some Mexican oregano, chicken stock, hominy, and pork and heat till warmed through.

Mix some pork with any kind of salsa and you can use it as a filling for all kinds of Mexican food - tacos, enchiladas, nachos.

can you handle black beans, red onions, bell peppers (green and a color) with either rice or pasta and a balsamic based dressing? It's a kind of Southwestern salad (non-lettuce) meal. I'll find the recipe if yes.

You could also do something Cuban sandwich style, either totally without the bread or thin sliced. Ingredients consist of leftover pork roast (sliced or shredded), deli ham slices, swiss cheese, dill pickles, mayo/mustard to taste. It's a pressed sandwich in the traditional preparation.

Cuban sandwich is excellent, but seasoning is also important. Where I had them most often in the Bahamas, the pork was roasted with Cuban seasonings, then sliced thin for the sandwich (Cuban pork roast recipe), but the seasoning could probably be done in a saute pan after the fact too.

Pork burrito or enchilada might be possibilities.

Last edited:
Cuban sandwich is excellent, but seasoning is also important. Where I had them most often in the Bahamas, the pork was roasted with Cuban seasonings, then sliced thin for the sandwich (Cuban pork roast recipe), but the seasoning could probably be done in a saute pan after the fact too.

Well, we usually make them with leftover Cuban pork roast, but have made with other leftover pork roast and by the time you add all the other stuff, there's not much of a taste difference, as long as it's just plain roasted pork.

Our Cuban pork roast recipe is a bit different. Paste made out of garlic, oregano, S&P, ground cumin and olive oil, rubbed on roast. Bagged with sliced onion and sour orange juice (which can be subbed with a mix of navels and lime juice if you can't get sour oranges) marinated for at least 4 hours, though longer up to 8 is better, then roasted. Supposed to be an authentic Cuban family recipe, though like all recipes every family probably has their own way.

Chopped/sliced and thrown into a veg stir fry almost at the end of cooking (make sure the pork's heated through properly)

I'd like to do a taco flavored rice dish. The pork has no seasoning, so I wouldn't be adding extra salt if I use a taco seasoning packet and some diced stewed tomatoes. I have brown rice made with turkey stock already made and frozen.

Barbeque sauce is the problem GG. The only BBQ sauce I like is sweet. I do rarely mix up a small batch with the pork, but I really shouldn't.

I like the idea of a Cuban RPC and medtran, but the roll is out of question. If I could figure out at way to make a breadless one I'd try it. Maybe I could sandwich the pork and Swiss between a couple of ham slices and fry it.

How about Machaca con huevos Z? No reason you can't use pork instead of beef. Mix the shredded pork with some Herdez salsa in a buttered skillet and add scrambled eggs. When the eggs are set, add cheese and cilantro if you like. Fill a flour tortilla, or not. Ole' :zorro:

Last edited:
Gotcha. I have made a rice dish with taco leftovers and it worked really well. You can boost the flavor by simmering everything with some salsa. I often make my own taco seasoning, too. That way, you can control the salt. Commercial taco seasoning has quite a bit of salt. Here's one recipe you can use as a base: Taco Bell® Seasoning Copycat Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This is what I made for dinner. I used the packet of taco seasoning plus, an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of green chilies and about 2-1/2 cups of brown rice. It was delicious!

I'll try using some salsa next time.

Thanks for the taco seasoning link. It was on my list of things to do. Now, I won't have to hunt it up myself.:LOL:

I'll check out the wraps too. Again, thanks!

I find the Carolina slaw dressing is not as sweet, especially if you make it your self. I toss the shredded pork in with shredded cabbage and the dressing, allow to sit for a bit to marinade and eat as a salad.

How about Machaca con huevos Z? No reason you can't use pork instead of beef. Mix the shredded pork with some Herdez salsa in a buttered skillet and add scrambled eggs. When the eggs are set, add cheese and cilantro if you like. Fill a flour tortilla, or not. Ole' :zorro:

This sounds really good, KL. Great for using up small amounts. I could have set aside some of the chopped up pork I used for dinner tonight for a tasty breakfast. Next time, I will.

I had an idea this morning for my inside-out Cuban. The deli at Walmart has cajun spiced beef that would substitute nicely for the Cuban. It's quite tasty, and the slices would be big enough that I could put pork, Swiss, mustard and dill pickle inside and saute. Maybe even do a kind of roll up.

Back
Top Bottom