"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Executive Chef

When I was a kid, we just used to roast a leg of ham, studded with cloves, in an oven bag. No sauce of any description, just a bit of hot mustard offered for the plate. (My parents didn't like sauce except for the odd bit of HP sauce and even odder, tomato sauce. Only time we got gravy was with a roast chicken/lamb/beef dinner.) The flavour was/is just lovely though.

How bout an Asian influence using Hoisin sauce as the rub? Be different and isn't sweet.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Crockpot ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol1 View Post
Here in Michigan I got in on the ham sale 2 weeks ago for 99c. I just put it in the crockpot all day with nothing on it. We ate it with baked squash and homemade rye bread, and broccoli the first night. Divine! Then I took the bone out and made a huge pot of pea soup for the next two days worth of meals. I cut the rest of the ham into 4 pieces and packaged them up for later use. We had ham and potato hash one night, ham in the fried rice for a Chinese night eating. We're going to have scalloped potatoes and ham in a couple weeks, and I'm just parsing out the remaining little bit into omelets for breakfast and ham salad sandwiches
The whole thing was wonderful and the plain wonderful flavor of the ham was out of this world. Don't put anything on it.
(the reason ours lasts so long is there's only 2 of us. It would have been gone instantly if my son and family had come over for dinner that first night.
I am really confused. You put the ham "alone" in the crockpot? Not any kind of broth or anything?

Old 12-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaButterfly View Post
I am really confused. You put the ham "alone" in the crockpot? Not any kind of broth or anything?
Hi, AnaButterfly. Welcome to Discuss Cooking

This thread is eight years old, so it's unlikely you'll get a response. If you like to cook, we're happy to have you join us
Old 12-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaButterfly View Post
Hi and welcome from me too Ana. Yes, I'm quite sure she didn't add any broth, ect. to the ham in the crockpot. It will produce just the right amount of it's own liquid as it cooks, without diluting the flavor.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I thought the ham you get in the stores is already cooked. Would you put that ham in a crock pot and let it cook for all day?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

You're right RT, it's true that many store bought hams are "fully cooked" to be safe to eat, however most people cook a ham to 140 degrees when they bring it home. I normally don't like crockpots, but the no liquid with the ham seems like a good application.
I do my crockpot Kalua Pig without any liquid at all, and it turns out with just the right amount of liquid.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, some old names popping up. I miss jkath and Bob.

Sorry, I miss Miss jkath, right Unka Bob?

I'm going to have to try the crockpot ham thing. That reminds me; I have to order our Christmas ham soon. It's getting more difficult to find our fave: a Dietz and Watson brand ham. So far we have 17 people coming for dinner.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None